Hard Start Up

williammw20

Okay so I recently bought a 00 Civic Si with a b16a jdm motor. Every morning I go to crank it for or even after it sits for awhile after I’ve been driving it, it gets hard to crank. The starter is good and so is the alternator, when I turn the key over I can hear the fuel pump. It takes like 3min for the car to start up. I’m constantly turning it over letting out then turning it over again after a second. Then she cranks any suggestions, maybe loss of fuel pressure. Thanks guys. Here’s my car [emoji617]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Looks good! Welcome back to ClubCivic!

Is the CEL on? If not, can you confirm that the CEL works when you first turn the key?

Any engine or under the hood modifications we should know about?

williammw20

Looks good! Welcome back to ClubCivic!

Is the CEL on? If not, can you confirm that the CEL works when you first turn the key?

Any engine or under the hood modifications we should know about?
Thanks man, and yes it’s on. Getting codes pulled today after work if I have time. I just wanted to get input from others on what to check. And as far as I know there aren’t any mods under the hood. It does have ac & ps delete I bought the car for a steal at a car lot & they got it from Pensacola. I haven’t opened it up yet. But externally nothing done to it besides full exhaust, which was on it when I bought it. I had to fix it before I bought it and I bought a new dizzy and got it to finally crank up when I fixed before bought, now it just has a hard time cranking up in the mornings and after it’s sits awhile.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks man, and yes it’s on. Getting codes pulled today after work if I have time. I just wanted to get input from others on what to check. And as far as I know there aren’t any mods under the hood. It does have ac & ps delete I bought the car for a steal at a car lot & they got it from Pensacola. I haven’t opened it up yet. But externally nothing done to it besides full exhaust, which was on it when I bought it. I had to fix it before I bought it and I bought a new dizzy and got it to finally crank up when I fixed before bought, now it just has a hard time cranking up in the mornings and after it’s sits awhile.

CEL codes are important. I would refrain from further troubleshooting until you get those codes. The fact that you have a JDM motor is a pretty big mod. Was the CEL on when you first got the car? Have you always had the start-up issues, or just recently? When it fires up and starts running, does it drive OK? No funky sounds or wacky RPMs, at idle or when moving?

williammw20

CEL codes are important. I would refrain from further troubleshooting until you get those codes. The fact that you have a JDM motor is a pretty big mod. Was the CEL on when you first got the car? Have you always had the start-up issues, or just recently? When it fires up and starts running, does it drive OK? No funky sounds or wacky RPMs, at idle or when moving?
I’m getting them today didn’t make it by autozone yesterday after work. The CEL was on when I bought the car. Before i bought it I had to fix it, the dizzy was bad got a new dizzy she fired right up. So then I bought the car and about a week or two afterwards it started getting hard to crank. It doesn’t make any weird noises once it starts up it runs fine it’s just when you drive it then turn it off it doesn’t wanna crank back up easily. It didn’t have a funky idol but I fixed that by cleaning the iacv on the intake

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, definitely get those CEL codes. Since the CEL has been on prior to you receiving the car, it's possible additional codes have shown up since.

If you have a smart phone, I recommend getting one of those ODB2 plugs. It connects to your phone and allows you to pull / reset codes, and check other diagnostic information. They're like $20.

L!r0N

Hi [emoji112] nice ride man. Maybe when you installed the new dizzy it moved and it's not on the current position, try to adjust it and see if that helps.