having a hard time putting it in gear

killercar

5+ Year Member
has anyone ever had this problem ? up until 2 days ago i could shift with one finger and now all of a sudden my trans wont go into gear properly like i have to force it to go in i checke my clutch fluid thats fine transmission is full even took apart center console to see if anything got jammed in there and nothin just wont shift right please help

shoemaker617

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
has anyone ever had this problem ? up until 2 days ago i could shift with one finger and now all of a sudden my trans wont go into gear properly like i have to force it to go in i checke my clutch fluid thats fine transmission is full even took apart center console to see if anything got jammed in there and nothin just wont shift right please help
Try adjusting the clutch cable. How many mile on the clutch??

killercar

5+ Year Member
not sure of the mileage on the clutch but where would i find the cable i looked under the car and theres a long bar from my shifter to the tranny i dont know much about trannys so im kinda f**ked and dont really want to pay 90$ an hour to get it checked for somrthing that can be so small/stupid

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Your transmission is starting to take a s**t. Prepare to spend a lot of money.

jdmjdm

5+ Year Member
bleed the clutch and replace the old tranny fluid with new

that might help for a little bit

shoemaker617

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not sure of the mileage on the clutch but where would i find the cable i looked under the car and theres a long bar from my shifter to the tranny i dont know much about trannys so im kinda f**ked and dont really want to pay 90$ an hour to get it checked for somrthing that can be so small/stupid
The cable runs from the dvrside firewall to the tranny on the passide side(a long cable). Download a shop manual for you car,instructions should be there

baker55

5+ Year Member
Hey KillerCar did you figure out how to fix your shifting problem? I had this exact prob happen to me this week. I was able to shift with one finger no problem, but all of a sudden it's hard as hell to shift into gears. After driving for a about 15 min the shifting gets a little easier, but not much. I checked my shift linkage, it's good. The trans fluid is good too.

I'm driving a 99 civic hatch dx with stock trans. 54k miles on the trans and clutch.

Any ideas?

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have this problem too and ive been having for a while and now its getting worse it seems. like at first it was hard to shift into first. like the shifter would get stuck or something. and then it started getting harder to shift into other gears 2. again. it wont grind or anything...its just hard to make the shifter fall into gear. it mostly happens on 1st and 2nd mostly. like the shifter is stuck on something. is this really the tranny itself. i thought maybe it was the shifter bushings or something. wouldnt the tranny grind or something if it was going bad?

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
92 and up do not have cable transmissions, his car will not have a cable.

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
time to change that trans fluid asap!!!

I noticed the biggest improvement switching to Redline MT-90 trans fluid. Its not cheap at $10 a quart but that stuff really works!! I ran it in my gsr trans that had a quaife lsd (75w90 weight as recommended by quafe) so i dont know if it would be good to run in a trans with a stock diff. Just run to honda and get some honda MTF (manual trans fluid). let us know how it goes!!

baker55

5+ Year Member
Hey KillerCar did you figure out how to fix your shifting problem? I had this exact prob happen to me this week. I was able to shift with one finger no problem, but all of a sudden it's hard as hell to shift into gears. After driving for a about 15 min the shifting gets a little easier, but not much. I checked my shift linkage, it's good. The trans fluid is good too.

I'm driving a 99 civic hatch dx with stock trans. 54k miles on the trans and clutch.

Any ideas?
Hey guys,
Just got under my car today and shot some WD40 on both ends of the shift linkage, where the washers & bushings are set up and it seemed to work! My shifting was super stiff, but it's back to normal now. Hopefully, it's as simple as that...we'll see.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i went to firestone today since we work with them often for my line of job and they told me its signs that my clutch is starting to go. but ill try the wd40 until i have to replace my clutch when boosting.

el_betiyo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a similar problem as well (sorry for thread jack)

Sometimes when I'm in neutral on a stop light, and it's about to turn green, and I try to put it in first gear, it won't do, it's like stuck, can't go to first.............but if I try to go to second, third, etc will do with no problem.
What can it be?

Kloan

5+ Year Member
Here's a trick for those who have a tough time getting into 1st:

Rev the engine a bit before shifting into first, you'll find it goes in easier... this helps when wanting to downshift into 1st while rolling as well.

Back on to the original topic... I'm having the same issues. I'm pretty sure it's the bushings.. I'm going to be having mine swapped out with new ones when the short shifter is installed, so I'll certainly know then if it was the bushings or not. If it's not that, it's the clutch.. I know mine is definitely a little weaker than it should be. But damn clutches are an expensive repair.

Bro'sslowdx

It's mine now...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This might sound stupid. But when i changed my pads and rotors my car started to shift properly again. Maybe since the pressure is hooked into both? IDK why or how but it happend to my car and afterwards it was fixed with pads and rotors...

ekracer_83

hardcore rice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah i have a 99 coupe and it does that also. at a light stop and green light i shift into 1st and its hard to shift into 1st. i though the car was gonna stall but it didn't and i put a little gas on it and it step on the clutch all the way and shift back to neutral and to 1st and it goes. im not sure if the previous owner i bought from did a clutch replacement on it.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive been having issues with my clutch for the past 4 weeks. extremely difficult to get into gear. finally last wednesday couldnt get it into gear at all. after pulling the trans, found this:

yep, broken clutch fork