headlight cleaning ?

Danno

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've used the 3M polishing compund and got the yellowish crap off the outside of my headlights. How do I get the small rock chips out of the plastic?

Will 2000 grit wetsanding work?

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You could try, but I don't think 2000 will do much. Unless there are really small rock chips.

Partizan

im gay n proud luv my car
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
danno, fpr ridding of the yellow stuff, you only used compound? How did it come out?

Danno

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Partizan said:
danno, fpr ridding of the yellow stuff, you only used compound? How did it come out?
worked great. I took a bit of time. I let the compound dry for about 10 minutes and then rubbed it off. They cam out great and made a big difference in the look of the headlights.

Danno

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Partizan said:
so no sanding at all?
No sanding. I'm wondering if the small nicks and chips would go away with sanding? But trekk99ek is probably right, 2000 grit is vet fine. I had a friend who did it with 1000 and lots of water and he scratched his very badly.

Danno

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Partizan said:
do you have any pics ?
no...sorry. All I can say is it looked like I had dry pee on my lights and now they are clear. ;)

Jas0n

What's up dogz!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
wich kind of headlights do you have? will the 3M compound work on sonar headlights? because mines start to get too yellow.....

Danno

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jas0n said:
wich kind of headlights do you have? will the 3M compound work on sonar headlights? because mines start to get too yellow.....
Mine are stock but the compound works on any headlights with outer plastic housing.

Jas0n

What's up dogz!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I'm gonna try that, any tips for the process?

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
meguiars plastX works pretty good too but for rock chips theres nothing that can really fill those holes.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
gonna try this either tonight or this weekend, did you take the lights off the car?

Danno

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HondaSpeedaX said:
gonna try this either tonight or this weekend, did you take the lights off the car?
No, but I did put painters tape around the lights to cover the paint.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i applied 10x coats of plastx with hard rubbing and it got better, but i still have alot of scratch. lousy ebay. should i just finish the bottle and maybe it will keep getting better?

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
mine's not too bad...i just want to nip it in the ass before it starts growing/expanding you know?

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i guess ill go spend some more time lol. anyone know if scratchx is safe/okay to use without hurting it? worked great on clearcoat scratch.

PEPE LE PU

mods yea i got some
5+ Year Member
another way is to wet sand 2000 then 2500 then 3000 then polish out the fine scratches it will turn out like perfect i have done several with excellent results or if you dont want to sand if you have a high speed buffer and a wool pad along with some heavy compound you might get some out but not all hope this helps

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i might try the sand paper. its just there are so many all over and its starting to look cloudy when the lights are on. it looks fine in the sun obviously.