Heat activated paint

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Well I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on it but I was wondering if anyone had done it to any part of their car or anything. I found a site selling it link is http://www.trippinpaints.com/ thinking My buddy brought up the idea to me and this was first site I found. I was interested in the black to blue and changing it up with metal flake and pearl. Just interested in thoughts. Yes it is expensive but it's very unique. Just trying to come up with paint idea after I get car tuned.

Decipher

Registered VIP
I don't know... it's a cool gimmick like for shows and s*** but for everyday use I can't imagine what setup or "settings" (what temps the color would change at) would produce a constant desirable effect... it might just always look shitty

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its actually been out for quite some time... another company made that paint years ago. i was actually going to use black to white on my hatch, but never got around to doing so.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Well I would set it to around 90 for the change and I think that it would be alright in summer time here it would definitely be interesting. I'm not exactly sure how many gallons I would need. I don't think it would look shitty at all though if anything would be slight eye catcher for the right reasons. The company has advertised price to paint something but looks more like for motor cycles idk though. Little 4 hour drive to get it painted would be bad ass. I would rather buy paint and have it painted for free though.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I remember some hot wheels toys I had that used this. Definitely cool but I don't think it's worth it unless you have the money to throw at it.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
this is one of those projects where if you half ass it then your going to really tell and its going to look extra shitty. I think it would look super great on a hood or something like that maybe not the whole car.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
this is one of those projects where if you half ass it then your going to really tell and its going to look extra s***ty. I think it would look super great on a hood or something like that maybe not the whole car.
Hood could be cool if they could maybe do like a body color when its cool out and then turn clear when its warm out. That way you could have a cf hood in the day time and then when its time to go to a nice restaurant or something it looks like a normal hood lol. of course the only problem with that idea is once the engine warms up you have a big cf circle in the middle of your hood lol.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i dunno man, kinda cheesy

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This might be cool for an engine bay or a two tone or something!

Would be nice for a show car or something...

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dunno man, kinda cheesy
lol true. That's kinda the point. Just pointing out that its not going to be good for a dd car. Might look fine sitting but driving it's just not going to look good.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
My thought is that if I set it at a certain temperture then I should not have to worry about the changing until come summer time i would just love the fact of showing it off. Maybe i just became a fan of heat changing things when I was a kid and the old oatmeal and grits spoons that changed colors. I would not paint my carbon fiber hood so I wouldn't have to worry bout paint changing color their. Biggest thing I would assume would be rear bumper with exhaust. then possibly front fenders and front bumper.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My thought is that if I set it at a certain temperture then I should not have to worry about the changing until come summer time i would just love the fact of showing it off. Maybe i just became a fan of heat changing things when I was a kid and the old oatmeal and grits spoons that changed colors. I would not paint my carbon fiber hood so I wouldn't have to worry bout paint changing color their. Biggest thing I would assume would be rear bumper with exhaust. then possibly front fenders and front bumper.
CF or not. Your metal hood will get just as warm as anything else. I think it will be a problem regardless.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a née carbon fiber hood not metal I domt get where you are going with this
lol. Where I'm going with this is it's not going to matter what your hood is made out of be it metal, fiberglass, carbon fiber, kevlar, aluminum, or plastic. It's going to warm up and not the whole thing. So you will end up with a spot in the middle of the hood that has changed color until it cools down. I don't see why this is so hard to grasp lol