Hello Everyone - Im a new owner of a 2003 Civic LX SOHC 1.7 engine

Jon in Vail

Have to do a head gasket , timing belt and water pump replacement - any help and tips would be helpful before I take on this repair .. 31034

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have the head checked for warpage before anything.

Jon in Vail

Getting a new head from a machine shop in Clearwater, Florida - it is a good deal at $365.00 with a 5 year warranty - hard to find that kind of warranty for a whole cylinder head unit ...

Jon in Vail

I work at O Reillys auto parts and even being a employee cannot get that kind of price and warranty from them. They only offer a 1 year warranty for cylinder head units ..

Jon in Vail

Im also replacing the radiator - the head gasket leak was coming from the exhaust system into the cooling system. Changing the oxygen sensors also as they got a pretty good steam bath ...

Jon in Vail

I have a question - where is the upstream Oxygen sensor located other than the downstream sensor at the exhaust manifold ? Or is the sensor at the exhaust manifold the upstream sensor and downstream sensor farther down the exhaust system ??

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The upstream sensor is on the manifold, the downstream sensor is on or behind the catalytic converter.

Jon in Vail

What can you guys tell me about these plastic intake manifolds ?? Good or Bad ? Gasket sealer or not ?? I would rather have a metal manifold but have to deal with this plastic one - first timer here with this manifold - thanks for the help here