Help a brotha out

EDawg

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What up fello Civic owners, :o
I'm new to this deal and I need a little help from someone. I just got a 90 Honda Civic DX and I want to swap out the motor into a B16A2 motor. I know that I need to replace the ECU, tranny, and wire harness but my problem is that I live in California and the SMOG laws are extremely strict. I need to know what I need to do and know to make it pass any smog tests and also where I can get the ECU and wire harness. I live in Northern Cali in the bay area and can't find any reliable help up here. If anyone could help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You need the engine, tranny, wiring harness, axels, ECU, you need a injector resistor, and the Hydro to cable tranny conversion.

Well if your going to put in the B16A2(USDM 99-00 civic Si) you will be fine, as long as all teh emissions stuff is hooked up.

Altho, if your talking about the JDM B16A SiRII(92-95 Civic SiR) then you wont be able to get it smogged, unless you find a shady shop to do it.

a nice swap is also the B18 from the 90-93 integras. you can find the engines for real cheap, and it will easily pass smog.

EDawg

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks SiHatchback13,
You gave me some ideas to start off with. What other engine swap upgrades can I do without blowin' a whole lot of cash.

I want do a swap that would really boost up my civic but without through down fat cash to get it done right and legally. Any help from you or anybody else would be great.

Thanks again for the help SiHatchback13
EDawg :thumbs up:

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Another nice Cheap swap with alot of potential is the D16Z6 from the 92-95 Si/EX. The entire swap can be had for under 1000 bucks easily. The only thing you need to do is add a knock sensor, and hookup a VAFC, or get a VTEC relay installed, or you can convert to OBDI and run the 92-95 ECU.

EDawg

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for all the help SiHatchback13, you gave me a bunch of help and advices.

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no problem man. Its nice to finally see another 4th Gen on the site. :thumbs up: