Help choose and tell me the differences

xCIVI

I'm thinking of buying a civic as a second car. I might turn it to a race car by time and was wondering which one is best for modding. I'm leaning toward the 5th gen but I heard the 6th gen has better suspension and chassis.

As far as I know they have the same engine, right? I see some of the 6th gen for sale have a single cam non vtec, is that a better option?

I hope you guys can give me links to write up or anything, I've just starting to learn about Civics.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What kind of race car? Drag car? Auto x?

xCIVI

What kind of race car? Drag car? Auto x?
Open road is my biggest interest, but I drag and track my mustang GT 2011 with my adjustable setup. It works for both very well. Maybe it will be the same for this car. Mainly I wanna have a car that i can mess with the engine and experiment tuning without being afraid of damaging the motor because I will probably rebuild it anyway.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
^^Any SOHC would be more common and cheaper to destroy. You will be happier with a vtec engine, but no 1.5L or 1.6L makes much more power whether its vtec or not.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would look for a lower mileage 92 si hatchback. The z6 is peppy and can be beat on pretty good. Then after u blow that up a B series swap is cake!

xCIVI

^^Any SOHC would be more common and cheaper to destroy. You will be happier with a vtec engine, but no 1.5L or 1.6L makes much more power whether its vtec or not.
Can I track the car with boost one day, or is that out of the question?

xCIVI

I would look for a lower mileage 92 si hatchback. The z6 is peppy and can be beat on pretty good. Then after u blow that up a B series swap is cake!
I don't really know much yet on these cars, is the b swap the B18Bsomething non vtec. How much for the swap, how much power can I make out of these NA, can they handle boost around the track and how reliable are they?

EDIT: B18B1?

JeffBel

Registered VIP
The b18b1 I'd say is the best starting point for boost. The d series don't respond all that great to anything, especially bolt ons. If you want to do autox them build all motor or higher comp, lower boost, smaller turbo. Drag you'll want bigger the better.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
U can track the car with a turbo.

There are many B series swaps. There are jdm and usdm swaps.

There are vtec and non vtec swaps. There are H swaps. There are h2B swaps. There are k swaps. There are J swaps. There are F swaps.

B series are most common. The civic siR swap and the gsr swap are both vtec and popular. The siR is a B16 so its a 1.6L and the gsr is a B18 so its a 1.8L. The stamp tells how many liters and the letter stands for sohc or dohc. D is sohc which is available in vtec applications or non vtec. There is a jdm zc motor that is stamped a D series that is dohc. But that motor shouldnt be of interest to u. The B series is dohc and comes in the civic siR to the civic si, del sol vtec, all integras after 94.

There is a B17 engine also but its hard to find and outdated.

The b20 is out of a crv and is non vtec but a vtec head can be mated.

There are so many combinations and frankenstein engines are common.

Forced induction and compression are amazing on these engines as well as a broad rpm range.

Do a lot of searching and then if u have questions still feel free to post up more!

Hope that helped a bit.

xCIVI

What kind of power the manual transmissions can handle?

Can you guy list few vendors and sites I can see how much does the parts cost, I've been through procivic and it's fairly cheap compared to other cars.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The trannys can handle a lot if power especially with lsd.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmotorsonline has complete swaps. Search around there for your pricing.

Please do some research on here, hondatech, and google. What you have been asking has been discussed many times over the years. After your research if you still don't know the answer come back and ask here.

xCIVI

can anyone tell me what are the improved areas in the 6th gen over the 5th? What's the estimated weight diff. between the hatch and the coupe

JeffBel

Registered VIP
can anyone tell me what are the improved areas in the 6th gen over the 5th?
Lol, uglier ;) Just kidding, don't want to get flamed.

More options, nicer interiors, better fuel economy, obd2.

Obd2 blows by the way.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
5th gen is smaller and more agile like a f**king panther son!