help got a few questions on boosting a stock d16y8

luicampos92

so i might be getting a greddy sohc turbo and i wanna know if it would be a good idea to get it since im completly stock only upgrades are full catback exhaust and aem short ram intake i am new to the whole boosting thing but sounds really tempting for my sohc

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if its the complete greddy turbo kit, its designed specifically for an internally stock engine. The question is the health of your engine itself.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Just do a compression test to see where the motor is at. I would also change the fuel pump. It's not needed, but if the pump is old anyways why not upgrade it.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also run atleast 6lbs if its sohc I wouldnt push more than that. but its your car so do what you want
BAR only matters upon turbo size. 6lbs on a t3/t4 is a big difference from 6lbs on a GT35R. That being said, the single cam turbo kit probably only has a T25, so 6lbs is good.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you have the money get it. like stated it doesnt matter how many lbs of boost, hp breaks stuff and stock d16 are limited to about 220 until s**t starts breaking first being pistons and rods.if i were you i would buy a chipped ecu and bigger injectors and get the car tuned after the turbo is installed. no need for a short ram intake after the turbo since the turbo becomes the intake and all the piping is after the turbo

luicampos92

thanks alot guys its a used kit some guy is trying to trade me he said he had it on his sohc but he wants to get rid of it. ill post a few pics of the turbo in a bit to see if that helps a bit more with further advice