Help identifying this ECU

irfan44

hi i m from pakistan & we have a very different breed of Civics here. i own a 1999 civic which originally comes with D15Z4 non vtec. Until recently we didint even get the o2 sensors in them.
Supposedly all 1996 + vehicles are OBD2 but i couldnt find my car's ECU anywhere on internet. nobody seems to know if its obd2 or what. it doesnt even has a 16-pin obd connector/DLC. it has a 3-pin DLC & a 2 pin connector.
i just want to know abt the obd version of ecu & its wiring diagram if anyone has it. Also as it doesnot have an o2 sensor or Catalytic converter. so it has a POTENTIOMETER in driver side kick panel for adjusting the fuel trim.
i want to know if an oxygen sensor can b installed on the existing potentiometer wiring?
ECU P2C-W01

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've never seen a P2C.... I'm 99% sure it's OBDII.

edit - It is in fact OBDI. I got my info mixed up.

Last edited:

reichbc

"Brandon"
I think you have a replacement on your hands. THe d15z4 is supposed to run a P2E.

That one is missing another plug. Leads me to believe it's OBD-1

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think you have a replacement on your hands. THe d15z4 is supposed to run a P2E.

That one is missing another plug. Leads me to believe it's OBD-1
You're right, that is OBDI. I got my info mixed up.

irfan44

The USDM or JDM models do get P2E but in Pakistan & Philippines its P2C.
What abt the fact that all 1996+ vehicles comes with OBD2? & how to confirm it if its obd1 or 2. i m trying to say that is there another way of telling its version besides looking at the ECU. e.g distributor connections, engine wiring harness etc.
btw there is 3rd plug with the engine harness. if u look closely u can see the green plug which connects directly to the dash harness.
I m confused because i went for some diagnostics to a workshop. he connected his OBD software with the 16-pin to 3-pin converter & got the data. He told me that its obd2. its all confusing.
& what abt the wiring/pinout diagram. anyone got it?

reichbc

"Brandon"
The USDM or JDM models do get P2E but in Pakistan & Philippines its P2C.
What abt the fact that all 1996+ vehicles comes with OBD2? & how to confirm it if its obd1 or 2. i m trying to say that is there another way of telling its version besides looking at the ECU. e.g distributor connections, engine wiring harness etc.
btw there is 3rd plug with the engine harness. if u look closely u can see the green plug which connects directly to the dash harness.
I m confused because i went for some diagnostics to a workshop. he connected his OBD software with the 16-pin to 3-pin converter & got the data. He told me that its obd2. its all confusing.
& what abt the wiring/pinout diagram. anyone got it?

How many o2 sensors are on the exhaust system? If it's OBD-2, there should be one in the header and one either in the middle of or directly behind the catalytic converter. Any less, and it's not.

I just had an interesting thought... Maybe the P2C is just a renumbered P2E for your country?

Strange, yes, most 1996+ vehicles ARE OBD-2. Check underneath your driver side console for a 16-pin connector? OBD-2 transfers way too much data over that diagnostic plug to be done with a 3-pin conversion.

irfan44

There are no o2 sensors on the exhaust, neither their is a catalytic converter.the car companies here are not pushed abt environment friendliness lol. the non presence of the o2 sensors is catered for by installing a trim pot switch as shown in last 2 pics which controls the fuel mixture settings.
It can b an option that its really a renumbered P2E. Btw does P2E has 2 plugs or 3 plugs?
As far as OBD-2 16-pin connector is concerned, it is not there. but i have heard that OBD-2a ECUs didnt have 16-pin connector either as they relied on 3-pin.

reichbc

"Brandon"
There are no o2 sensors on the exhaust, neither their is a catalytic converter.the car companies here are not pushed abt environment friendliness lol. the non presence of the o2 sensors is catered for by installing a trim pot switch as shown in last 2 pics which controls the fuel mixture settings.
It can b an option that its really a renumbered P2E. Btw does P2E has 2 plugs or 3 plugs?
As far as OBD-2 16-pin connector is concerned, it is not there. but i have heard that OBD-2a ECUs didnt have 16-pin connector either as they relied on 3-pin.
Did not know about OBD-2a. I'll look up on that.

You have a trim pot, just one? that would basically be your "o2 sensor" in terms, and if there's just one, i would assume it's obd-1.

At this point, I'm lost, my friend. I'll do some more looking around and see what I can find. Sorry :cry::oops:

BuddhaStyle

Well what you have is a non vtec ecu it came off 2000 civic dx i you want to put in anther o2 sensor you going to have to rewire the sensor on the header all the way to the cate its more easy then runing it to the ecu that my way of doing it

irfan44

Thnx for the suggestion. but i think the P28 has 3 plugs but mine only have 2 plugs. will it be an easy swap without the pinout diagram?
Abt wiring the o2 sensor. plz explain a little abt the wiring.