help installing Sparco 4pt harness...

DirtyMcDirt

rock the squishy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wupddup peoples? well today is my only day off so i thought id go ahead and install my sparco speed seat and 4pt quick release harness in my 00 hatch. well i got the interior out but noticed where the mounting holes were and they were under the rear seat. i was hoping to put on the harness and keep my full interior. ive seen the four points mounted to come out from between the crack in the rear seats. anybody have any experience on how to do that? or am i just gonna have to just roll without back seats??? any and all help is appreciated. thanks in advance =)

*theDirtiest

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rear seats are over rated anyways.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
io_303 said:
Looking through the members cars here I have seen alot of people with bad installs of mulit-point harnesses so I decided to go get a little info for you all to maybe save some people the trouble of learning the hard way.

Harnesses have their own drawbacks. First are roll-over concerns. You should NEVER, EVER use any 4, 5, or 6-point harness in your vehicle without a roll bar. In the event of a rollover a multi-point harness will hold your body upright as the roof collapses on your head. At a minimum you should use a good 4-point roll-cage to help prevent this from happening. The stock 3-point harness, however, does not suffer from this problem. During a rollover accident it will allow your body to move downards with the roof in most cases, helping to prevent crippling neck and spinal injuries.

Secondly multi-point harnesses must be installed correctly in order to be effective. The shoulder harnesses should be attached no lower than six-inches below the shoulder line, and should be at no more than a 45-degree angle from the top of the shoulder to the mounting point. Ideally the belt should be mounted evenly with the top of the shoulder line. Additionally you want some length of seat-belt material between you and the mounting point for adjustability and proper effectiveness. Too much material though can cause other problems.

There are two reasons for these stipulations. First, seatbelts by design are intended to stretch in an impact. This allows your body to slow down gradually in a collision. Too much material between the mounting point can cause an excessive amount of slack after they stretch, allowing your body to escape from the belts. When belts are mounted to the rear seat area of the vehicle, the large amount of material between the mount point and the driver can suffer from this problem. This could allow the body to come into contact with interior parts of the car, like the steering wheel or dash board, or even dislodge completely from the belt.

Secondly by making sure the belts are even with or slightly below the shoulder line ensures proper effectiveness. If the belts are mounted too low they can cause spinal compression injuries in a frontal crash. As the body moves forward the belts pull downward on the shoulders, compressing the spine. This can cause compression fractures in the vertebrae, herniated disks, or even break the spine.