HELP intake info Needed--Dose a Intake kill your Warty????

coach2fast

5+ Year Member
1.I was thinking of Added a Intake I hear they can add Power? How much power ?

2.Dose adding a Intake kill your Warty? Or if you get a Intake at a Honda Dealer is that
the best way to go?

3.Will your car still pass smog and all the Laws with a Intake?

4.I hear as well that a intake can help with Gas MPG ????

5.Any other info on what you think would be great it is for a 2006 LX Civic Coupe.

Thanks.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
does nto add much power.. definately not enough to risk voiding the warranty.. some dealerships are ridiculous and others are not so its kind of the luck of the draw... there are organizations out there who are fighting to try to help people modifying cars to still be allowed to retain the warranty.. but the reality is a dealership can basicly try to do whatever they want..

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fyi, you can't buy a intake like you'd want from the dealer. Unless its a performance inclinded dealer.

Brian Spilner

Banned
actually..im pretty sure its legal and will not void your warranty...unless the dealer can prove to you that the intake or MOD was the cause of the problem
xample....tim buys a brand new evo 9, he places a different blow off valve on it. the evo 9's clutch goes out after 11k miles..
the dealer cant say that cuz of the bov they wont cover the clutch..

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
on an 06 civic... it will NOT void your warranty.

The warranty isn't voided unless it adversely affects the emissions, or unless another part BREAKS because of it. If you install the intake, tell the dealer ahead of time, because when you get it installed, they need to re program the MAF sensor. (and they should do it for free, because nothing is broken) If you don't get the MAF sensor reprogrammed, your engine light will be on (after about 50 miles) and you'll end up running lean, and losing power.

For power gains, about 5hp low end, but once u hit 3K rpms and v-tec kicks in, it feels like 20.

At higher rpms, the intake does freaking wonders for that R18 motor.

Hope I helped.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Brian Spilner said:
actually..im pretty sure its legal and will not void your warranty...unless the dealer can prove to you that the intake or MOD was the cause of the problem
xample....tim buys a brand new evo 9, he places a different blow off valve on it. the evo 9's clutch goes out after 11k miles..
the dealer cant say that cuz of the bov they wont cover the clutch..
the clutch is a wear item and therefore not covered by any warranty ive ever had.. ;)

nightryder99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i say enjoy the new car as is ..when you're warranty finishes and you don't need to service at honda ....start modifying it and find yourself a good mecanic

thats what i did when I got my 99' coupe

Brian Spilner

Banned
oc_civic said:
the clutch is a wear item and therefore not covered by any warranty ive ever had.. ;)
ever owned an evo? they are notorious for their clutches having a short life span..when i say short i mean 10k miles...

anyhow, basic mods shouldnt bring you any trouble at a dealer... i/h/e...

nightryder99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Brian Spilner said:
ever owned an evo? they are notorious for their clutches having a short life span..when i say short i mean 10k miles...

anyhow, basic mods shouldnt bring you any trouble at a dealer... i/h/e...
don't say that...headers can be a part that won't be allowed under warranty
you can stick to exauhst and intake....those shouldn't cause you a prob...because they don't do a significant change
call honda and ask them if headers void the warranty ...it should because it changes an engine's response ...more than just a lil intake

always read your warranty papers

Brian Spilner

Banned
nightryder99 said:
don't say that...headers can be a part that won't be allowed under warranty
you can stick to exauhst and intake....those shouldn't cause you a prob...because they don't do a significant change
call honda and ask them if headers void the warranty ...it should because it changes an engine's response ...more than just a lil intake

always read your warranty papers
it varies from dealer to dealer...but from what ive heard around here you can get away with those no problem...
at the local mitsu dealer some guy has a 450hp evo thats still covered under warranty...

nightryder99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Brian Spilner said:
it varies from dealer to dealer...but from what ive heard around here you can get away with those no problem...
at the local mitsu dealer some guy has a 450hp evo thats still covered under warranty...
wow thats great ...thats one car i wanna drive ..the EVO
i don't know if this stupid market of ours is receiveing it
it should be coming to Canada within a year or two

Brian Spilner

Banned
nightryder99 said:
wow thats great ...thats one car i wanna drive ..the EVO
i don't know if this stupid market of ours is receiveing it
it should be coming to Canada within a year or two
that sucks...

canadiandriver said:
Officially, the reason the Evo IX isn't coming to Canada is the same as before. Its intercooler, mounted down in the bottom half of the front bumper, is vulnerable to damage in our 8 km/h frontal crash tests, which stipulate that a car should be able to hit something at that speed and not be damaged. The same test in the States is less stringent. One wonders, though, how difficult it would have been to reinforce the Evo's bumper to meet the requirement.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/ly/evoenvy.htm

nightryder99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiandriver
Officially, the reason the Evo IX isn't coming to Canada is the same as before. Its intercooler, mounted down in the bottom half of the front bumper, is vulnerable to damage in our 8 km/h frontal crash tests, which stipulate that a car should be able to hit something at that speed and not be damaged. The same test in the States is less stringent. One wonders, though, how difficult it would have been to reinforce the Evo's bumper to meet the requirement.

are you fkn kiding me..WoW that's Canada for you

coach2fast

5+ Year Member
Do you guy Feel the AEM cold-air intake is safe. I just got it on friday but now I
have this big fear of water. The guy told me I would have to drive it into a lake
to hurt it. I live in So.Cal. I was thinking of buying one of those Injen cool air
covers to feel safer what do you guys think?

Do you guys feel the AEM cold-air intake is just as good for the motor as the
stock get up?

nightryder99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
coach2fast said:
Do you guy Feel the AEM cold-air intake is safe. I just got it on friday but now I
have this big fear of water. The guy told me I would have to drive it into a lake
to hurt it. I live in So.Cal. I was thinking of buying one of those Injen cool air
covers to feel safer what do you guys think?

Do you guys feel the AEM cold-air intake is just as good for the motor as the
stock get up?
lol thats a whole other topic ...search for it cuz if we start here this thread wont go anywhere
there are many writings on it...its more a publicitry stunt to sell their intakes...but since its a new car and all ...and you dont know about it ...id say just buy it ...it only goes for like 30 -40 bucks no??

qtiger

5+ Year Member
1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©)

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302©).

The dealer must prove that the part you used/modified caused the problem which they are not covering under warranty. So a header, or an intake, or any other bolt-on part typically only voids the warranty on that part and related parts.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
on the newer civics, oiled filters could ruin the maf sensor which will void warranty. you could get an aem intake with dryflwo filter...