HELP New CAR. New COLD AIr Intake NOW the CHECK Motoer light is on ?????

coach2fast

5+ Year Member
HELP New CAR. New COLD AIr Intake NOW the CHECK Motoer light is on ?????

The car is 3 weeks old. I took it down to the shop 3 days ago got the New AEM cold air intake put on with the dryflow filter. The guy there told me with the old oil filters the check motor light would come on sometimes but
with the new AEM dryflow filter that would not happen????

SO today I jump in the car for a ride and the check motor light is now on. Is this from the new intake?

What should I do about it have them remove the intake and install the stock air set up? I'm not
going to have a new ride and have the check motor light on all the time. That is one of the things I went
with the New AEM set up as the guy told me this would not happen.

I'm new to all this so any info and site you guys have would be great.

Thanks.

aznwannabe

26psi what?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm not sure, but I know sionx had that problem.

I think he just got it tuned, and let the car adjust accordingly to the intake... correct?

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
EASY FIX.

do not panic. your MAF sensor is just pissed off that theres a ton of air going through, and you're running a bit lean on fuel. Take it to Honda and ask them to reprogram it. They should do it for free under warranty, since nothing is actually broken.

If you want to INSURE its done for free, tell them you got it installed at another dealer. That should do the trick.

coach2fast

5+ Year Member
No I have been driving the car fine for 4 days and put about 110 miles on it fine. Then
on Wed. I jumped in the car to drive it and the light was on.

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Same happened to me, I drove it for about 80 miles and I turned it on one day and it randomly turned on.

It's your MAF air sensor, just take it to Honda. Trust me, I went through ALL of this about a month ago.

jcmrules

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Man I thought when you posts something as important as issues with the intake people pay attention I guess he did not when the last one was posted.

1493cc

5+ Year Member
I work at a Honda dealer.
If a CEL comes on from an aftermarket product we will not reprogram or clear the cel.

This is MY dealer, Im not saying all wont do it.
But why would they is my question ?

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
reset the battery? :what:

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
battery isnt the problem.

and Honda should fix it, because the car is a damn Honda...

even if you charge for it.

And they told me for a fact nothing was actually WRONG with the car, and nothing was broken, the MAF sensor just needed to be reprogrammed to read the airflow from the intake correctly.

nad_racer

5+ Year Member
I think Shorty makes a valid point. If you reset the cars cpu i.e. unplug the battery and run down the charge in the car by hitting the brakes. Then let it sit for about 15 mins. Plug the battery back in. When the car starts it should have essentially rebooted the computer so it may not read itself wrong and think the intake allows the normal about of air going through. A reprogram of your cars computer is serious business and you wouldn't want to ruin that computer with re-flash when nothing is really wrong with the car. The stock computer should easily adjust to the intakes flow but then this computer driven civic may just be that pain in the ass where the intake mod will actually need us to install an aftermarket chip for the computer to adjust to mods(that would suck).

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nooooot really.

I took it to Honda. They said that the MAF sensor was still reading it as stock airflow, so it was running lean (even though there was more, cooler, and better air coming in) so they fixed it and now it doesn't run lean, and infact it's even faster than it was when I originally installed it, since the fuel and air are mixing better.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
which in essence reseting your ecu wouldve done the same thing.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sion0x said:
I suppose, but Honda did it for free.
cant argue with that - just letting you know for future.

nad_racer

5+ Year Member
Good rule of thumb when you make a performance change to the car that has to do with the engine you reset the cpu so it can adapt.

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hmm well I don't know if resetting the battery works...

To put the intake in, you have to unplug (and physically remove) the battery, and I did that, and apparently it didn't reset the ECU.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
resetting the battery wont change anything. the MAF sensor will still continue to read the way it is now and after another couple of miles it will throw the same code.

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Had a feeling...

just take your car to Honda, seriously.

coach2fast

5+ Year Member
Yep so now I have reset 5 Times total and the CEL is now back on again!!!! I'm thinking on just pulling
off the AEM intake as I don't think I would have a good out come going into the dealer and they telling me it is no longer under warty as I took off the stock air box and they will look to stick me with a bill to fix it.

What do you guys think?