Help: Rattling sound from the underbody

legion

digital agent
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm hearing this crazy metal rattling sound coming from under my car. I have a 98 EX and a Greddy SP cat-back system. I checked down there and I don't see anything that could be causing the noise. I think I may have narrowed it down to be the middle part of the exhaust system (the sound suppressor or something, the thick part between the headers and muffler) - it seems to be coming from the inside of it, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
heat shield.

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
happen to me, and it was my catalytic converter, if u changed it. its the honey-comb thing inside the cat, it probably broke, need to take it off and get rid of the broken piece, and now its should be better.

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
could be anything. not just "heat shield".

my bud was told "heat shield" when his was doing it.. by a repair shop, and it turned out to be in his muffler.

CiviKid

Post Whoralicious
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sickcivic you post whore...lol I have this same probelem when i shake my exhaust it sounds like the heatsheild...how can you fix this problem?

rey rey

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my noise started right after I installed my muffler the extra weight made it shake.

vampire

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Chances are it's the heatshield. Couple of mechanics told me to throw it out. One honda dealer told me that it'll cost me $100 to replace it. Another mechanic told me it's just $30 to replace it, but he finally just had to tighten the bolts holding it & he also put in a clamp. It was done for free with my oil change. I guess I was lucky.