Hesitant to have a radio put in.

antman

Hey guys I'm new here! =)

Anyway I just bought a 2000 civic LX. Its a great car, however the radio is eh...

Its not stock, its a JVC radio I'm not sure what kind. However, the cd player skips whenever I hit ANY sort of bump, and it has no AUX/iPod inputs.

Im looking to have one installed (not by me) ill probably take it somewhere but...

Don't these things get stolen? Im a bit hesitant to have one installed because a lot of people have said "oh man you better watch out radios get stolen all the time"

No. I don't live in a bad neighborhood.

I just want to hear some of your opinions on this. Thanks guys.

Decipher

Registered VIP
It's a risk that everybody who owns anything takes every day. The chances are slim that you will get robbed, especially if you take measures to deter would-be thieves. Never let another person (especially a hypothetical person) decide what you do to your car. Get whatever head unit you want!

My only other suggestion would be that you take some time and read up how to install it yourself. It's a pretty simple process and your wallet will thank you.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think your over reacting they will most likely steal the entire car not just your radio 2000 civics are one of the most stolen cars in the US and probably everywhere else for that matter. you should probably just crawl under a rock with your favorite blanky it will be safer there.

antman

It's a risk that everybody who owns anything takes every day. The chances are slim that you will get robbed, especially if you take measures to deter would-be thieves. Never let another person (especially a hypothetical person) decide what you do to your car. Get whatever head unit you want!

My only other suggestion would be that you take some time and read up how to install it yourself. It's a pretty simple process and your wallet will thank you.
Thanks for the reply.

What kind of measures could I take aside from an alarm.

Decipher

Registered VIP
Yea, what failsafe said.

Also it's probably a good idea not to advertise what valuable goodies you have installed. Don't put the stickers that manufacturers include with their products all over your car 1) because I typically hate decals and stickers on vehicles 2) you might as well make an itemized list and put a welcome mat at your driver side door... you're practically taunting a would-be thief.

I wouldn't personally take any drastic or expensive steps in trying to safeguard the car or its contents. Just don't be a flashy bastard that shows off if you plan on putting anything really nice in it. Usually the people who are going to break in and steal s*** either know you or know of you and have seen what they're going after prior to the theft (owner's fault). Just don't be dumb. And this doesn't really even apply if all you're doing is putting in a head unit... just detach the faceplate, park in non-sketchy spots and you should be good.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a head unit with a detachable face plate (kenwood) but I've never felt the need to even take it off. I have 20% tint as well so at night it's harder to see into my car. But that's also a realistic idea for you to consider. If you don't live in a bad neighborhood then you should be okay for the most part. Just don't come into the neighborhood blasting a nice system. Don't park with the windows down, etc. I have a full sound system, every speaker except the tweeters in my car are aftermarket. Never had a problem with thieves. However they are out there and you should still invest in the proper precautions. Bottom line, you should be fine as long as you don't show it off to everyone and their mothers.

On another note, you should really read up on installing the radio. It's REALLY easy. Buy a wiring connector for your model civic, take your current radio out (this will be alot easier because yours is already aftermarket) and use butt splices to connect the wires from your new radio, the wiring connector's wires.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do it yourself. get a setup like the harness adapter from walmmart and solider your own. its easy and honestly worth it. i could talk you through it. its not worth paying someone 100s to do it

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you already have an aftermarket head so its pretty easy to wire it, the adapter plate was the hard part for me. as for theft, get a less flashy head of just take off the plate, and be real nonchalant about how you show off your tunes.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Could also put stickers off a top named security company on their even if you dont have it. Just makes the theif more aware

epic_civic

Think outside the box man
Make boobie traps
Make it to where if someone try's to break in or steal your car it'll blow up stuff like that
I would do this, it would be sick to see this happen! I personally have a kenwood with a detachable face plate, i leave my windows down all the time in my neighborhood or if i'm going into a store for only 5 minutes and i come back and it's still there. Stop worrying over something small. If you are that worried, just leave the whole car in the garage and let it collect dust.

antman

Ok guys I have a question.

Heres the current radio.

If I push the button that makes it pop off and I remove the radio I see this,

Is it possible for me to just simply "plug" a different one in, that has auxiliary/bluetooth and all of that?

Just a question I figured id ask.

DeathLens

EM1 Crew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what failsafe said. get one with a detachable faceplate.

and no, that will not work.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
No the faceplate isn't what contols all that so trying to get new faceplate off of a deck with those features will be no good. I change my mind though I say do the booby traps lol