Hesitates/sputters/jerks when hot

tallshag

The 1.6 hesitates when I get on it, in real hot weather (in Alabama this is often) the hotter the weather the more it does it.
I’ve replaced the coil, plugs, distributor cap and rotor. The rotor had not much corrosion on it, and it had light scratches around the spot where it makes contact.
With a new rotor it got a good bit better but it still does it. My experience with cars doing this, says the distributor could be suspect. Possibly the plug wires but those were replaced by the previous owner not long before I bought the car. The distributor ends of the wires looked fine, almost new.
The hesitation/sputter doesn’t happen below 80 F, and it gets to be a real b***h at 90 F and above.
When this happens, if you use less throttle the motor smooths out and will go fine slowly. But when more than about 20 percent throttle is applied, it does it again with a vengeance. I’ve had cars stutter similarly when they had a dirty fuel filter, but that’s been replaced on this car.
So does this sound like ignition system trouble somewhere? Who had had a Civic do this ? What fixed it?

tallshag

It was the main relay. I installed a new one and all is well. It’s inside the far right side of the dashboard. Drop the glovebox door, take off the far right side panel piece of the dash and right there the main relay is. All you need is a 10mm socket; take note of how the bracket part of the old relay is situated before you remove it. It’s about as easy a fix as there is on a Civic. I would rather not have paid the parts house 50 bucks for a new relay but I figured all the original used ones in junkyards now, are too old to be trusted