Hey guys just wanting to say hi again and need some help :)

civic_noobie

5+ Year Member
Hey guys I'm not really new here, I made this account awhile back and it's been awhile since. But now that I'm feeling more active with building my civic on my own I'm here again re-introducing myself and requesting some help.

I own a 99 Honda Civic Ex, it was an auto so I ended up converting it to manual but when I converted it to manual I haven't done my research right I ended up putting a Hx engine in, and after researching I found out the d16y8 has more potential for more power. But it was an auto so it was like whatever to me at the time. Now that I have this d16y5 installed, its starting to give some issues. I didn't install it myself, my dad actually bought the engine for me and had a mechanic do the job. But heres what I know so far, he left the y5 block and head and kept the y8 intake and exhaust manifold. I don't really know what ecu he kept, I'm guessing the y5 ecu. But he announced this problem that he came across, which was the intake not fitting right with the block so he sealed it with some sealant fixing this idle problem that it had.

Now...a couple of days ago I noticed the temperature gauge going up, I pulled over and put more antifreeze to cool it down. I ended up changing hose that connects from the intake manifold to the block. and the next day after refilling the storage tank with more coolant and radiator as well i took it out for a drive and was gone like that. so Im guessing that it might be the radiator on that. But after i changed the hose my car started to have this idle problem where it would idle from 1500 when at a stoplight go up to about 1800-1900 and back down its nothing big but it never did that since my mechanic sealed the intake. It kind of sounds like there might be a air leak somewhere. Also when I first start the car the rpm gauge jumps to roughly about 2k - 2400rpm. i've done some research and there can be many reasons but I'm hoping someone might know a thing or two about it.

Here's another issue I noticed, when at idle when its idling at 1500, I start giving it some constant gas, it jumps up to about 1700 and back down and back up like its bogging almost and when I shift into second gear it feels like its going to stall coming out of first. Sorry guys for making you read this but I'm hoping on solving this issue before school starts next week. Thanks guys:D

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did you change the ecu? Prob did but just checking.
Check for air leaks. When it does the idling up and down take off the intake and plug the hole that goes to the iacv up with your finger and if it idles normally then its not a vacuum leak.