HiD's..? Don't want burn spots.

19civic98

SiR coupe?
5+ Year Member
Hey Im looking into some of the cheaper Hid Kits< specifically the DDMTuning a lot of people talk about on here but had a few specific questions i couldn't find the exact answer to searching it.

If I get the Apexcone Raptor h4 5000k without the wiring harness will I get burn spots? or can I even instal them without the wiring harness? My understanding was i could install without the harness I just DONT want burn spots cus I have real ctr lights for my 98 and dont want to damage them.

so if I get the Apexcone Raptor h4 5000k w/o wiring harness will I be good? on a 98 coupe.

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
Hey Im looking into some of the cheaper Hid Kits< specifically the DDMTuning a lot of people talk about on here but had a few specific questions i couldn't find the exact answer to searching it.

If I get the Apexcone Raptor h4 5000k without the wiring harness will I get burn spots? or can I even instal them without the wiring harness? My understanding was i could install without the harness I just DONT want burn spots cus I have real ctr lights for my 98 and dont want to damage them.

so if I get the Apexcone Raptor h4 5000k w/o wiring harness will I be good? on a 98 coupe.

I guess an explanation of what "burn spots are" would be nice. If you referring to how some HID's can burn your oem housing, that has nothing to do with the wiring.

To avoid burning your headlights get 35w HID's(doesn't matter what K rating) 35w will operate at a lower temperature than stock halogens.

If you get 55w HID's you run the risk of burning your headlights because they operate at a higher temperature than stock halogens.

Regardless of which one you get i would suggest getting a wiring harness. HID's pull less draw on your battery while they are operating, however, they require a significant amount of power to start, think of starting your car as opposed to just letting it run, starting your car requires more battery power than letting it run. HID's work in the same manner. now your stock wiring can handle a 35w HID system, however to be safe I would go ahead and get a relay kit. It takes all the load off of your tinny stock wires and puts it onto big relay wires than can easily handle the excess voltage without heating up. Then danger of not having a relay kit is not that you will have burn spots on your headlights, its that your stock wiring will heat up to much and start a fire in your engine bay. So I would avoid all that and get a relay kit. In addition retrofitting your headlights with projectors will reduce the chance of you getting burn spots on your headlights because the HID's will be operating in housing that was specifically designed for them. also you will be less likely to blind other drivers.

ALSO: This topic is covered a lot in Exterior/bodywork....and is where this question belongs for future reference.