Hit curb HARD. Guestimated Damage Costs?

Linh

I just got my 2015 Honda Civic sedan this year and have f**ked it up already... Before you tell me anything, I am VERY aware of how bad a driver I am... Long story short, I'm a noob driver and experiencing this for the first time, I tried to avoid the head on collision and turned a SHARP right, running into and onto the curb on the left side of that road I turned into, I slammed the brakes going 40-45 mph so I might have hit the curb going @ 25-30 mph? I don't know anything about cars, so I came here to get help from people who know what they're talking about...

The left front wheel is definitely bent inwards and sits far back. Guard and wheel are obviously cosmetically damaged. I know the car is misaligned. Since I wasn't too far from home (3-4 minute drive), I drove the car home at 30 mph with my blinkers on... there was a bump every 2-3 seconds of driving... there was a LOT of noise and vibration, at higher speeds, it was a terribly bumpy ride. It is definitely not driveable and will need to be towed to get fixed. My car's been sitting in my driveway for a couple weeks now.. What I want to know is what kind of damage do you think has been done under the car? And how much can you guestimate the labor + parts will cost? This is extremely upsetting........ I've learned my lesson from this stupid mistake..

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No pics? Kinda hard to tell without em

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Take it to a shop you trust, get an actual estimate.

dancam

Registered VIP
I slid into a curb once and it cost me $200.
Ive seen curb hits over $2500.
I would guess yours to be about $1500. Get a quote and let us know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Without any reference pictures we cant be accurate. However, if you are in fact experiencing heavy pulling along with an obvious bent in wheel then its very likely you bent a control arm, damaged the axle, maybe bent the rim, and could've broken any number of other parts. Being a new car, used parts will be nearly impossible to find, so you'll be looking at all new dealership parts which will come at a hefty price (rooouugh approximate range $600-$3000. Do NOT get an estimate from a dealership as they will rape your wallet sideways. Visit a reputable shop that will visually walk you through the damage and necessary cost. You might get lucky and be able to get some stuff straightened out at a good machine shop, so keep that in mind and ask the shop(s) you visit.

Lesson learned: admittedly bad drivers shouldn't buy new cars unless they plan to baby it or take tactical driving lessons to improve.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well if you had quick enough reflexes to avoid a head on collision you can't be that bad of a driver unless you where the cause of the impending collision where you ?? do the newer civics still use a macpherson strut or did they go back to double wishbone ???

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Could be anything. Without a teardown and finding all the damage there is no way to know.

Linh

Without any reference pictures we cant be accurate. However, if you are in fact experiencing heavy pulling along with an obvious bent in wheel then its very likely you bent a control arm, damaged the axle, maybe bent the rim, and could've broken any number of other parts. Being a new car, used parts will be nearly impossible to find, so you'll be looking at all new dealership parts which will come at a heft price(rooouugh approximate range $600-$3000. Do NOT get an estimate from a dealership as they will rape your wallet sideways. Visit a reputable shop that will visually walk you through the damage and necessary cost. You might get lucky and be able to get some stuff straightened out at a good machine shop, so keep that in mind and ask the shop(s) you visit.

Lesson learned: admittedly bad drivers shouldn't buy new cars unless they plan to baby it or take tactical driving lessons to improve.
Yeah, I'm going to get it towed to a reliable family friend mechanic soon... gosh, that's a lot of money.. gonna set me back a lot as I was planning to move out soon. I had originally asked for a used car, but my parents bought me this civic with the mindset that it's reliable and will last me through college without much trouble. But man, the guy was going at most 50, shoulda just taken the hit lol

well if you had quick enough reflexes to avoid a head on collision you can't be that bad of a driver unless you where the cause of the impending collision where you ?? do the newer civics still use a macpherson strut or did they go back to double wishbone ???
No, the guy was going at most 50 and swerved onto my lane. He was probably texting. And they use a macpherson strut from what I know

No pics? Kinda hard to tell without em
It's a bad picture, since most of the damage is under, but I don't have the tools to get under. The car definitely has some heavy pull and is not safe for the car or me to drive whatsoever.

It's hard to tell but I first ran INTO the curb, then ONTO the curb, and back down. Seems to me the bottom front of my car is where all the damage is. But I'll get back to you guys once I get an actual estimate.

Attachments

Deaf_Dougie

Respected
the hubcap can be replace easily, you can just buy other steelie and it would save you lot of money instead get it fixed...imo

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Youre 5 months late to the party, Dougie.

@Linh, what happened with this finally?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Funny story actually... I faked the incident again somewhere more probable, called the cops and filed a report. Said the guy forced me up the curb and ran off. I still got points or whatever but insurance paid for all ~$3-4000 worth of damage and repair.
Pretty bright to admit to insurance fraud on a public forum....

Deaf_Dougie

Respected
Funny story actually... I faked the incident again somewhere more probable, called the cops and filed a report. Said the guy forced me up the curb and ran off. I still got points or whatever but insurance paid for all ~$3-4000 worth of damage and repair. I don't remember all that was wrong with the car, but I do remember them having to rotate the tires, buying a bunch of new s**t, something was wrong with the suspension, misalignment, etc. But on the bright side, since then I've been a much better driver on the road. Lol. Yeah I'm a girl and I'm asian btw. Called myself out first so no one else had the chance to :lol:
you faked the incident again?......:hithead:

ain't gonna lie that's the stupid thing you could do.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Without reading everyones response and only the OP's post. Im going to say the lower control arm is bent and this is VERY common in curb impacts. Its actually a design implementation. The lower control arm is strong enough to support the vehicle but in an impact its designed to give way as to save damage from the unibody and other suspension components.

Lower control arms are VERY cheap and can be found at any salvage yard. Worse comes to worse you may have possibly bent the lower portion of the knuckle and have to replace that as well. Again both of these components are fairly cheap and you can replace this all yourself with mostly hand tools and breaker bars.

I myself have been in this type of collision three times on two separate vehicles. Each time I had to replace the lower control arm and once the knuckle. My current car has had the impact both on the same side (front right) and has very minor body misalignment (0.002") from it but can easily resolved by adjusting the alignment.

magneticmeatwad

Without reading everyones response and only the OP's post. Im going to say the lower control arm is bent and this is VERY common in curb impacts. Its actually a design implementation. The lower control arm is strong enough to support the vehicle but in an impact its designed to give way as to save damage from the unibody and other suspension components.

Lower control arms are VERY cheap and can be found at any salvage yard. Worse comes to worse you may have possibly bent the lower portion of the knuckle and have to replace that as well. Again both of these components are fairly cheap and you can replace this all yourself with mostly hand tools and breaker bars.

I myself have been in this type of collision three times on two separate vehicles. Each time I had to replace the lower control arm and once the knuckle. My current car has had the impact both on the same side (front right) and has very minor body misalignment (0.002") from it but can easily resolved by adjusting the alignment.
I really hope you’re still on here. I just saw this response from six years ago, I’ve been searching feverishly and desperately for days for a shred of credible info from Google lol good luck with that amirite? Anyways, I fricken love you right now. I had to avoid someone turning left on yellow as I was sending it to beat the light from the opposite direction. Yeah my bad. Quick reactions saved it from changing my existence on earth permanently, I avoided all cars and chose the best landing zone which was up the curb, on the left side of the road, as he was moving to my right and every path that way was a certain collision course. I went left but not all the way as I would have wrapped the stoplight pole. The only damage being the right front wheel bent back and out. Totally f***ed. But no body damage or panel gap movement. I’ve been crying inside for days thinking my car might be ruined even if I just throw money at it. It’s a 21 fk8 CW it’s my heart and soul my pride and joy the love of my life my one and only forever car. I’m dying inside. But your post makes me feel like I might have a chance to live again. God I hope everything gave way before it ruined everything else. Maybe it did? Thanks for that

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I really hope you’re still on here. I just saw this response from six years ago, I’ve been searching feverishly and desperately for days for a shred of credible info from Google lol good luck with that amirite? Anyways, I fricken love you right now. I had to avoid someone turning left on yellow as I was sending it to beat the light from the opposite direction. Yeah my bad. Quick reactions saved it from changing my existence on earth permanently, I avoided all cars and chose the best landing zone which was up the curb, on the left side of the road, as he was moving to my right and every path that way was a certain collision course. I went left but not all the way as I would have wrapped the stoplight pole. The only damage being the right front wheel bent back and out. Totally f***ed. But no body damage or panel gap movement. I’ve been crying inside for days thinking my car might be ruined even if I just throw money at it. It’s a 21 fk8 CW it’s my heart and soul my pride and joy the love of my life my one and only forever car. I’m dying inside. But your post makes me feel like I might have a chance to live again. God I hope everything gave way before it ruined everything else. Maybe it did? Thanks for that
The award for most overdramatized and whiny reply goes to...
:smackself