HIV Question

whitey53005

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was just wondering if you can get HIV from being scratched by someone's nail? I was curious because I can't find it anywhere on the web at all. Just curiosity.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I don't beleive so. it's all in the blood right, so unless maybe they scratched you real good and drew blood, then maybe. but otehrwise i'd say you're good

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you drew blood and so did they you have HIV. If not, whatever... if you're a little unsure get tested so you won't accidentally pass it on to someone you love later.

whitey53005

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Right I guess I should've asked if someone scratched me and I only drew minor blood?

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Still they have to be bleeding too, so that they mix, right. You should be good, but definately be on the safe side and get tested. Only thing with the tests, i think it takes about 6 months for it to appear in your system. I THINK. Someone told me that, but that could be hearsay kinda thing, know what i mean?

rexxxgirl

i want a new hatch!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
DirtyD said:
If you drew blood and so did they you have HIV. If not, whatever... if you're a little unsure get tested so you won't accidentally pass it on to someone you love later.
just b/c there was blood to blood contact does notmean you have hiv. that's how it's transmitted, but it is not guaranteed. and the only way you can get it by being scratched is it the have fresh, hiv contaminated blood underneath their fingernails and they scratch you hard enough to not only make you bleed, but bleed alot. HIV bacteria dies within seconds of being outside the body. and also, if they scratch you hard enough to make you bleed enough, chances are that so much blood is going to be cming out that it will wash out the bacteria with it.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
renegadex96 said:
I don't beleive so. it's all in the blood right, so unless maybe they scratched you real good and drew blood, then maybe. but otehrwise i'd say you're good
HIV is spread through bodily fluids. not just blood.
DirtyD said:
Not really. Just because you came in contact with boldiy fluids of somenoe with HIV or AIDS does not mean you have HIV or AIDS. There's a chance, but not 100%.

This woud be blood to blood contact route.

I'd recommend getting tested. Remember though, often HIV doesn't show up n tests for months or even years.

Code:
[center][b]Estimated per act risk for acquisition of HIV
by exposure route[/b][/center]
--------------------------------------------------------
[b]			| Estimated infections per
Exposure Route		| 10,000 exposures to an
			| infected source[/b]
Blood Transfusion	| 9,000
Childbirth		| 2,500
Needle-sharing		|
injection drug use	| 67
Receptive anal		|
intercourse* 		| 50
Percutaneous		|
needle stick		| 30
Receptive		|
penile-vaginal		|
intercourse*		| 10
Insertive anal		|
intercourse*		| 6.5
Insertive		|
penile-vaginal		|
intercourse*		| 5
Receptive fellatio*	| 1
Insertive fellatio*	| 0.5
[center][b]* assuming no condom use[/b][/center]
HIV test

Approximately half of those infected with HIV do not know their HIV status until an AIDS diagnosis is made with an HIV test. Donor blood and blood products used in medicine and medical research are screened for HIV using such a test. Typical HIV tests, including the HIV enzyme immunoassay and the Western blot assay, detect HIV antibodies in serum, plasma, oral fluid, dried blood spot or urine of patients. However, the time between initial infection and the development of detectable antibodies against HIV can vary. This is called the window period. This is why it can take 6-12 months to seroconvert and test positive. Commercially available tests to detect other HIV antigens, HIV-RNA, and HIV-DNA in order to detect HIV infection prior to the development of detectable antibodies are available. HIV tests to detect antibodies, antigens or ribonucleic acid (RNA) in serum, plasma, oral fluid, dried blood spot or urine have been approved by FDA for donor screening, diagnosis, prognosis and patient monitoring.
The window period is the time from infection until a test can detect any change. The average window period with antibody tests is 22 days. Antigen testing cuts the window period to approximately 16 days and NAT further reduces this period to 12 days. FDA 2001

whitey53005

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I'm just curious about all this because I was playing basketball at the Y and I went for a block and the guy barely scratched me and I was barely even bleeding?

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does the guy have HIV?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
rexxxgirl said:
just b/c there was blood to blood contact does notmean you have hiv. that's how it's transmitted, but it is not guaranteed. and the only way you can get it by being scratched is it the have fresh, hiv contaminated blood underneath their fingernails and they scratch you hard enough to not only make you bleed, but bleed alot. HIV bacteria dies within seconds of being outside the body. and also, if they scratch you hard enough to make you bleed enough, chances are that so much blood is going to be cming out that it will wash out the bacteria with it.
Actually, that's not really true either. You don't have to bleed a lot in order to contract HIV through blood.

Think of contaminated needles (no, they don't need to be covered in blood either). You usually bleed very little when you get a needle.

Bleeding cleanses the wound so if anything, if YOU are bleeding a lot then you have less of a chance of contraction in theory. You don't have to be gushing blood in order to pick up HIV from blood.

Oh, and HIV has also been found in saliva, tears, and urine. There goes the theory that urine is completely sterile. There is not evidence that you can contract HIV from the low concentrations found in these fluids though.
Eran said:
Does the guy have HIV?
Scary thing is, many people don't know they have HIV until they have full blown AIDS. :shock:

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah know it's more then just blood, but the other fluids didn't really seem to apply here

NOFX said:
HIV is spread through bodily fluids. not just blood.

Not really. Just because you came in contact with boldiy fluids of somenoe with HIV or AIDS does not mean you have HIV or AIDS. There's a chance, but not 100%.

This woud be blood to blood contact route.

I'd recommend getting tested. Remember though, often HIV doesn't show up n tests for months or even years.

Code:
[center][b]Estimated per act risk for acquisition of HIV
by exposure route[/b][/center]
[b]			| Estimated infections per
Exposure Route		| 10,000 exposures to an
			| infected source[/b]
Blood Transfusion	| 9,000
Childbirth		| 2,500
Needle-sharing		|
injection drug use	| 67
Receptive anal		|
intercourse* 		| 50
Percutaneous		|
needle stick		| 30
Receptive		|
penile-vaginal		|
intercourse*		| 10
Insertive anal		|
intercourse*		| 6.5
Insertive		|
penile-vaginal		|
intercourse*		| 5
Receptive fellatio*	| 1
Insertive fellatio*	| 0.5
[center][b]* assuming no condom use[/b][/center]

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
whitey53005 said:
No idea but he wasn't bleeding at all
If he wasn't bleeding at all, and you didn't come in contact with any of his fluids, you're good. :what:

If anything, your blood to a mucus membrane of his would mean he'd be more likely to contract something from you.
renegadex96 said:
yeah know it's more then just blood, but the other fluids didn't really seem to apply here
I figured since some peopel didn't seem very educateds on the subject, why not post up a little bit extra and it was a good comparision. =)

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
whitey53005 said:
No idea but he wasn't bleeding at all
Then why the f**k would you think you had HIV?

whitey53005

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Because I wasn't sure if this was a way that it could be contracted because I hadn't heard or seen anything that proves or disproves this........sorry if your so pissed it was just a general question

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
whitey53005 said:
Because I wasn't sure if this was a way that it could be contracted because I hadn't heard or seen anything that proves or disproves this........sorry if your so pissed it was just a general question
I want to know what would make you think you could have HIV. Did the guy look sick? Did he look like a junkie? Did he tell you he had HIV? Did you see him having sex with a prostitute? What sterotype did you put on this person that told you "Hmmmm, I mave have contracted HIV from him." ?

Regardless of the fact that someone's fingernail scratched you, which would be silly to think that fingernails contain the HIV virus, what made this even cross your mind?

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Were you having intercourse with the guy when he scratched you?

no?

Chances are pretty minute that you contracted HIV then. You should worry more about hepatitis.

Now if you saw this guy anal banging a Haitian hooker bareback with a small cut on his penis then forcing things under his fingernails to make them bleed, THEN, you should be worried.

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
Now if you saw this guy anal banging a Haitian hooker bareback with a small cut on his penis then forcing things under his fingernails to make them bleed, THEN, you should be worried.
LMFAO!

Matt

0_o
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did they guy who scratch you have HIV? If not then why would you think you got HIV? Do you think everyone at the Y has HIV?