Honda civic si 1991 - No start

NBroadwell

5+ Year Member
I have a 1991 Honda civic si which was given to me by my late grandfather. I am having major problems starting the car. My grandfather had replaced the gas tank, the fuel lines and most likely the fuel pump. Once i got the car I replaced the battery and tried to start it, when it didn't start I looked online for suggestions. One site said check the ECU, i pulled up the carpet but the ECU didn't put out any light, so I ordered a new ECU and when I plugged it in the car still did not start. Then a friend suggested that I check for an alarm system that might be blocking power to the ECU and preventing it from starting, and remove it. So I did. The car still did not start and the ECU light will still not come on. I checked that all the spark plugs are sparking and that i have good compression in each cylinder. After all of this I poured gas directly into the cylinders, put the spark plugs back on and started it that way. After doing this, the car ran but once all the gas I had put into the cylinders was used up, the car turned off. If anyone has any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated. I also believe that my fuel pump might not be getting power either.

Known Facts:
Battery is supplying power to both fuse boxes
All fuses are in good condition
ECU light is not coming on
Car turns over
The main relay works
Have spark
Have compression

RonJ

Banned
Turn the key to ON(II) and then listen very carefully for the low humming sound of the fuel pump priming for 2 seconds in the gas tank. If you don't hear the fuel pump prime, then the main relay that sends power to the fuel pump may be bad.

Before you replace the main relay, make sure that fuse 37 (main; 15A), 14 (dash; 10A), or 2 (dash; 10A) is not blown.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wrong section.

RonJ

Banned
Maybe a mod/admin will move this thread to the 4th gen forum.

19ef90

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if its happens to be your main relay, there very easy to repair at home.

if you dont have a soldering iron, borrow one from a friend or buy one from radio shack. there cheep, like $15. you will also need some solder. not alot, just a small amount.

open up your main relay, and find the pin has a broken/bad solder joint, and touch it up with your soldering iron.
hopefully, problem solved.

i had to do this, and it works great.
saved me alot of money.