Honda Newb with timing and speedometer issues

mrbigA47

I've seen that before on a YouTube video. Didn't think about it because I changed the IACV during our earlier exchanges. I didn't think they would stick so early. Unfortunately, I do not have adequate lighting in my garage to test the IACV tonight. Will post the results tomorrow.

mrbigA47

Thank you BOTH for the assistance. I was back on the sidelines again

mrbigA47

I tried it and the surging idle didn't go away; however there was a "sucking air" sound when I shut the car off

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
If there is a vac leak while idling spray carb cleaner or starter fluid around all joints, hoses and sensors, map, iac etc. Do not over spray and keep fire tools close. If the engine surges or revs you are close to your leak(s).

Sent from my boujea ass phone

mrbigA47

The throttle body gasket was the culprit. New one did not cover the same area as the old one. The car is running well again; HOWEVER, the idle still reads high (1100). I adjusted the idle screw on the TB to no avail. My gauge cluster came out of an LX Civic (98); I wanted a tach. Speedometer is also off (starts at 20). Could it be the gauges just need to be calibrated? The car sounds fine; unfortunately I am not versed enough on Hondas to attempt to tune by ear.

mrbigA47

Ok. Can the gauges be calibrated or should I hunt for another cluster, preferably the original DX one, from the salvage yard? There is a 2nd outlet on the rear of the LX cluster that my DX wire harness has nothing for.

mrbigA47

I was speaking more for the speedometer, but they both can from the same vehicle and the old speedometer worked fine.

mrbigA47

That's good to know. My speedometer starts at zero when at 20 mph and will not go below that until the car is off. The fact my old one did not do that is what generates this question. Wish I had NOT thrown it away.

mrbigA47

Newb is a fitting term for me. It turns out the high idle was caused by me setting timing from the wrong mark. Timing is advanced. Good news is there are no vacuum leaks.

mrbigA47

I have finally corrected my idle issue. I had to adjust the throttle "bump stop" screw in order to get it right. Just have to verify manual timing again and its off to the next facet of this project. Thanks for your assistance and by chance would you have a diagram of a Civic's rear door? Mine does not open from the out or inside.