hood pins??

CacheHX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just put on my carbon fiber hood last night. and it said that "hood pins are required for safety purposes" do I really have to have them for a daily driver???? and i really dont want to go drilling holes in that carbon fiber!

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
install them if you want to f up your new hood

if your latch is good and the hood shuts properly, u're good to go....they suggest hood pins so they're not liable if something bad happens...

nurevEKcivic00

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dont know if u need em, alot of people dont have em on theirs, but first off i think they look cool, next just take your time drilling and youll be fine, id recomend picking up some cf hoob pins to make it look more clean that or some stainless ones, good luck with it man

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get Sparco ones....the kind that hatch_of_doom has....they look the best...or should i say, the lesser of two evils...the latch and pin (that looks like a bobby pin) are crap...

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's a safe bet to install them. The more you drive around without them...the more you'll start to want them...it's just piece of mind. I have the small Moroso style...do a google search for them...I got them at Berhetts or something for like $12

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
as long as it closes down on the latch good, and the fitment is good then you should be fine.. a couple of my friends have CF hoods with no pins and they've ran them for a while without any problems.

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SCCRules said:
as long as it closes down on the latch good, and the fitment is good then you should be fine.. a couple of my friends have CF hoods with no pins and they've ran them for a while without any problems.
Not neccissarily...most latches are just screwed into the fiberglass underside of the hood. I'm not a real confident that will hold at constant high speeds...ex: 80mph on the interstate for a couple of hours.

CacheHX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
going that fast would just cause the hood to be pushed "down" even more, because of the angle of the hood. preventing the hood from coming up.

I cant imagine cruisin down the highway at 80 and all of a sudden have my hood fly up (that would suck) and it would make a huge mess. then it would fly through the guys window behind you and sever his head. o freak

Shogun

is cool
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
TippinOver said:
get Sparco ones....the kind that hatch_of_doom has....they look the best...or should i say, the lesser of two evils...the latch and pin (that looks like a bobby pin) are crap...
he doesn't have sparco's. he has Mugen I think

I have the Mugen hood pins and I personally think they look very good on there. Also it makes me feel better know that my hood will not come up.

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
CacheHX said:
going that fast would just cause the hood to be pushed "down" even more, because of the angle of the hood. preventing the hood from coming up.

I cant imagine cruisin down the highway at 80 and all of a sudden have my hood fly up (that would suck) and it would make a huge mess. then it would fly through the guys window behind you and sever his head. o freak
Oh...you must be a scientist then...sorry I thought that way. You're right...the wind will never get in there. Good luck on missinforming more people on the board.

Asthmatic

Formally DXpowR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got them on my cf hood and i think they compliment the hood well. I only got them cuz my latch didnt keep the hood down....so ya.