hoodpins question?

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
I was wondering if all hoodpins have the same hole-pattern? I was wondering because the ones I have are going to s**t and I was wondering if I could replace them so that the new ones will match the holes already drilled in my hood.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dun know.....i think hood pins are awesome tho...

Britty

CC's Grandma =p
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Noob question here...wat exactly do hoodpins do? :oops:

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for extra security that youll hood will stay shut when you want it to. people who have done serious engine mods will do this because most of the time, extra heat will be created by the engine, and so there will be more pressure pushing on the hood. the hoodpins will keep your hood nice and secure.

plus they look kinda cool. makes people wonder what your hiding

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You guys seen the "Simulated" hood pins at AutoZone? HAHA...they make me laugh. I will prolly have to get them for my CF hood..

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
They also help to hold your carbon fiber hood down at high speeds when the corners usually tend to pull up. Giving your extra security that your latch will not break.

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that wud suck doin bout 200 km/h and ur hood pops open

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've seen a few pictures of mustangs that had the hood fly open at only about 40 mph. The window was bashed in along with the roof of the car. It was a shitload of damage. They were lucky that they didn't get hurt. This was with a fiberglass hood too, nothing as light as carbon fiber. I would always recommend hood-pins with a new hood.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They're cheap, but they require drilling holes in the hood. If you're good at drilling and feel comfortable doing it, they are easy to install.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ouch....I had a friend with a hood swinging at their car....lotza money!

xxCoolOutxx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is it safe to drill holes through carbon fiber? any special way of doing it? i knew a guy that refused to get hood pins because he said there was no way in hell he would drill through carbon fiber.

civic hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
instead of just hood pins get the ones that lock that way you get a little extra bit of security. cause people steal the pins.