How bad of a ride?

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
Ok here's the story. My dad who's a mechanic keeps arguing with me just about every day saying I shouldn't lower my car because it rides like crap. He only ever brings up his friends nephews CRX which was dropping on springs over the stock shocks/struts. He is saying it'll be like a hay ride. And that my back will always be sore. He says it's a waste of money, but I explained it's an import car scene type of thing that every one does.

How bad of a ride is a car that is lowered on full coilovers? I don't plan on going that low. I want to have just a little bit of wheel gap on 15s not tucking or anything. The roads I drive on around here are pretty good. There are some not so good ones, but I pretty much only ever take the same routes.

I know it'll ride worse the lower you go but I don't consider myself going that low.

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My ride is a little on the rough side. But I got use to it. But then again roads are bad around here.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you do it right it shouldn't be a harsh ride at all. Since you're not slamming it to the ground you should be completely fine if you get a good brand. If you choose ebay parts then your dad will be laughing as you go bouncing down the road.

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Skunk2 coils are a TAD bouncy but not bad at all. I've never had any backpains or anything close. My lip is also 3 inches from the ground

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
um well, cant say my ride is comfy. but i have no suspension travel left. overall with a moderate drop its not to bad. if your not looking to go low, have you thought about tein s techs?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
There is a big difference between bouncy and stiff. A lot of people misuse these words with each other.

Bouncy = ebay garbage where if you hit a bump, you feel like you're on a roller coaster
Stiff = You hit a bump and it hurts

If you lower too low on shocks that are not meant to handle such a drop, you will get bouncy. If you lower on shocks that were meant to handle such a drop, you will get a more comfortable (yet stiff) ride.

Depending on what coilovers you get, the comfortability will differ. The rates for F&F Type I's are 6-700 IIRC. Which is probably the stiffest I would go on a street car. I've taken a ride in my friends prelude that is an inch off the ground on Type I's and it is definitely stiff but rides VERY firm and handles very well.

Decipher

Registered VIP
There's nothing to worry about man. How many people on here have their car lowered every single way imaginable and everyone gets around fine. You're dad's making you paranoid. DO IT!

I'm dropped at least 2 - 2 1/2 inches all the way around on stock struts and ebay springs... I can't imagine any setup worse than that(other than cut factory springs) but my car feels almost like it did stock, and I drive around like 8 -10 hours a day continuously for work... no problems. No bottoming out, no stiff bumps to complain about, no bouncy ride... nothing. My wife doesn't even complain(and she's a f***ing princess when it comes to s*** like this) when we take 6 hour rides up to NJ on some of the worst highways in the US (DC,Baltimore,Philly... and worst of all NJ!)

I'm sure you're going to invest in a much better setup than mine, and it'll be just as good or most likely much better. Go ahead and do that s***!

97ek_coupe

i have type 1s, and i love them, honestly i wish they were a little bit stiffer, but that is just me. for sure the best coilover for street driving for the money.

Detroit ricer

Skunk2 coils are a TAD bouncy but not bad at all. I've never had any backpains or anything close. My lip is also 3 inches from the ground
same here im on skunk2's and at first it felt pretty good but like anything after a while it starts to ride pretty rough IMO , but i live in michigan where roads are sh*t because of the snow and salt.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
koni yellows and eibach springs. great setup. very smooth ride.

also, koni springs and blue shocks combo was VERY comfy ride... not real low though.

JGvtec

The names Jordan
Austin, ill have to let you know how the ride is tomorrow when work finally decides to install my springs for me.

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
Ok thanks guys. I didn't think it would be that bad. But I understand where my dad is coming from too.

eightclicknine

Ok here's the story. My dad who's a mechanic keeps arguing with me just about every day saying I shouldn't lower my car because it rides like crap. He only ever brings up his friends nephews CRX which was dropping on springs over the stock shocks/struts. He is saying it'll be like a hay ride. And that my back will always be sore. He says it's a waste of money, but I explained it's an import car scene type of thing that every one does.

How bad of a ride is a car that is lowered on full coilovers? I don't plan on going that low. I want to have just a little bit of wheel gap on 15s not tucking or anything. The roads I drive on around here are pretty good. There are some not so good ones, but I pretty much only ever take the same routes.

I know it'll ride worse the lower you go but I don't consider myself going that low.
Depends on the money and time put in. Do your research, invest some $$ and dont just slap something together. Make sure you keep aware of your bushings and alignment. Ive heard good things about PROGRESS CS for lowering. I dont plan on lowering my ride just cause the roads around here are hella bad, especially where i work in the burgh.