How long for a swap?

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Anyone have a general idea how many hours it would take an experience mechanic to swap a d16 for an h22 in a 98 civic? Taking into consideration everything goes smoothly, nuts and bolts aren't rusted on, no cutting required, etc..... Had a shop quote me 600$ for the swap, just dont' want to get ripped off

Stinky

East_Coast_Chopstix
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do it yourself... much more fun, and the good part, its free. Spend that 600 on upgrades. for real, Its EASYYY!!!

my grandma did mine while i baked her brownies.

Stinky

East_Coast_Chopstix
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
h22 is a b***h tho cause of the shift linkage being different, and some say you need to bang out the firewall in spots, and u need to upgrade your suspension, and possibly stiffen your frame support. So h22 might not be your first choice in cheap/easy swaps... and make sure the shops kno its an h22, and not a b/d series.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wish I could do it myself, I'd have a better sense of satisfaction and pride if I could, but well i can't...not yet anyways....This is the same shop that quoted me for the engine, and actually recommended it. H22 sounds good to me with all the hp, pre mod, in reality i just want something with some VTEC in it that i can start to upgrade. They mentioned all the linkage stuff, saying they would take some part from an Accord i think, but they never mentioned anything about the suspension or the frame support though

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
600 is alright for a h22 swap if you cant do it yourself, itll pry take about 6 hrs depending on experience of course. you dont need to do anything with the frame, and you dont HAVE to change suspension, but it will be a little heavier so you will have slight understeer. linkage will require a hole and a larger hole in the shifter spot.

why not do a b series swap that you can do on your own?

99siTUNER

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would say if its $600 out the door, is a GOOD price, not that I would pay someone to do it personally, but compared to what a shop around here would quote close to $1000, and probably break some parts to get some extra money out of ya!

DAF

Zinc Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
take out the d16, throw in the new motor mounts, run the wiring harness, throw in the custom CV joints, call it a 4 day project tops. It is an easy swap, but there are alot of things that can happen.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DAF said:
take out the d16, throw in the new motor mounts, run the wiring harness, throw in the custom CV joints, call it a 4 day project tops. It is an easy swap, but there are alot of things that can happen.
4 days?! and thats easy?

if you know halfway what you are doing you could get this done in one day, two tops

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Problem is when it comes to swaps, i don't even know halfway what i'm doing!!!

JL

Doodoo Brown Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stealthy said:
4 days?! and thats easy?

if you know halfway what you are doing you could get this done in one day, two tops
:werd: I did my motor, suspension, and interior swap in two and I had to pull the D15 out of my hatch and the B16 out of my coupe in 2 days. 4 days is way too damn long.

600 is a damn good price seeing as you can't do it yourself but if knowledge is the problem, there are many DIY's on the net as well as books. My boy swapped his C5 w/ a book and no engine lift and it was his first swap. It can be done so don't rule it out so easily.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh i know it can be done, i had a friend do his, but he's since moved away. I could probably do it, but i don't have the tools or a hoist (but i guess not really necessary). I just don't trust myself to do it, at least not without someone watching who knows what their doing.

With my luck i'd forget to do something really basic and end up f**king 'er all right up