How much is a ls/vtec build or swap?

Dnguyen92

I was tweeting and some random guy tweets and me and says I should go for a lsvtec. He said they're fairly cheap and all.. My plans for my car; Keeping it my daily driver but I also want to make it fun to drive. Any one have any ideas as to how much a lsvtec build or swap would cost for my eg? Or should I go with a boost/turbo? I'm still kinda new so don't murder me please lol.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what engine is in it now?

An ls/vtec build could be pricey and from the sounds of it you may be sourcing the work elsewhere... I would just go for a straight forward b-series swap and call it a day.

Dnguyen92

I have a d16z6 right now. For some reason, I still lose HELLA gas when I'm driving around. Do you think it could be my gas tank cap? Because I noticed when I first bought it i could continue to tighten it past the clicks without close to any resistance. So many theres hella air getting in.. evaporating my gas? But getting back on topic, yeah I have a d16z6 and idk what's better, either boosted or a b series swap. If i wait long enough, i'm probably looking at a 1200 budget? or is that too low..

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$1200 is too low to build a reliable ls-vtec motor
that could get you a nice turbo kit or a swap though(depending on the motor/miles)

from now till then do lots of research on both

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
that could get you a nice turbo kit or a swap though(depending on the motor/miles)

I agree. $1200 doesn't sound like much to me to build something reliable.

Remember this: Pick 2 - fast, cheap, reliable.

Dnguyen92

been doin slight research on swaps. But what do you think would be the most suitable for my budget? I don't think I'd ever do a K-swap because; 1. It's out of my budget range and 2. I hear that there's some shaving and fabricating you gotta do to the bay in order to make it fit properly.. And what kinda turbo kit would be worth that much? I hear ebay ones aren't all that..

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
before you even think about going turbo you need to figure out the condition of your motor and if it can even handle it.

id say just go ls swap. reliable and a noticeable difference

Dnguyen92

before you even think about going turbo you need to figure out the condition of your motor and if it can even handle it.

id say just go ls swap. reliable and a noticeable difference
That's what I was thinking sorta... So which would be cheaper but also still reliable? The ls/vtec or something like a b16. If i might be stating the same motors please feel free to correct me.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nope different motors. ls/vtec is an ls block with a b16 or b18c head.

but cheaper kinda depends on what deals you find. if you want reliable and cheaper i would stay away from boost. its not cheap to do reliably. ls swap is the best bet for your budget, but you may be able to find a gsr or b16 motor.

putting short, swapping is your best bet but saying which motor is best is hard to say. it depends what you can find.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you COULD get that but then you'd need the knowledge to put it all together..or deep pockets to pay someone to do it for you..and yes you'd need more things such as everything it takes to do a b-swap.
LS motor's are cheap and are good for daily drivers..look into it.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
id say to some research. use our search bar and find a list of what you all need. its a slightly lengthy one

Dnguyen92

you COULD get that but then you'd need the knowledge to put it all together..or deep pockets to pay someone to do it for you..and yes you'd need more things such as everything it takes to do a b-swap.
LS motor's are cheap and are good for daily drivers..look into it.
is it really hard to put it all together? But Yeah i'll look for some ls motors. But that's nonvtec right and where a b16 head would come into play?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont think its that hard..but then again i've put motor's together from scratch before and have been working on cars since i was 14. i did most of the work on my old ls-vtec motor..your going to have to do some machine work as well (recommended) and its just something you cant do yourself unless you have the skill/knowledge/tools to.
if you research on how to properly build a ls-vtec motor you'll understand what im talking about

Dnguyen92

i dont think its that hard..but then again i've put motor's together from scratch before and have been working on cars since i was 14. i did most of the work on my old ls-vtec motor..your going to have to do some machine work as well (recommended) and its just something you cant do yourself unless you have the skill/knowledge/tools to.
if you research on how to properly build a ls-vtec motor you'll understand what im talking about
Yeah I was looking at some builds and I saw that people had to like, shave down like old gunk and stuff off the valves or something like that.. I guess a straight swap would be easier for me since I don't have the knowledge or tools to do machine work?

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a d16z6 right now. For some reason, I still lose HELLA gas when I'm driving around. Do you think it could be my gas tank cap? Because I noticed when I first bought it i could continue to tighten it past the clicks without close to any resistance. So many theres hella air getting in.. evaporating my gas? But getting back on topic, yeah I have a d16z6 and idk what's better, either boosted or a b series swap. If i wait long enough, i'm probably looking at a 1200 budget? or is that too low..
If your gas cap doesn't seal your engine will eat quite a bit more gas. The fuel system is meant to be pressurized. Do you hear it hiss when you open the cap to fill up?

Dnguyen92

LOL idk if you guys are in the west coast, but we've had about 3 earthquakes today. I walked outside to see what set my alarm off.. my damn window came off the track LOL.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah I was looking at some builds and I saw that people had to like, shave down like old gunk and stuff off the valves or something like that.. I guess a straight swap would be easier for me since I don't have the knowledge or tools to do machine work?
machine work i cannot do, i leave it to the pro's..that equals more money sadly:cry: