How much power out of a B16 and/or B18 and/or D16 motors N/A?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Talking about classing rules for autox and whatnot on another forum so this question isn't directed towards myself or anyone in particular. That being said, what is the most power, WHP, you have seen out of a B16 or B18 motor N/A? What about a D16 N/A? Looking for all motor builds. I don't care about H motors or B20 or any other motor. Don't care about any kind of boost or nitrous. If you have dyno graphs to show that'd be best.

Thanks

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What are the limitations as far as having an n/a car in autocross standards? Can you change the pistons, rods, etc.? Are there any limitations if any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corocop459

Talking about classing rules for autox and whatnot on another forum so this question isn't directed towards myself or anyone in particular. That being said, what is the most power, WHP, you have seen out of a B16 or B18 motor N/A? What about a D16 N/A? Looking for all motor builds. I don't care about H motors or B20 or any other motor. Don't care about any kind of boost or nitrous. If you have dyno graphs to show that'd be best.

Thanks

i have a d16z6 in my crx and it kicks pretty hard so keep that in mind. dont forget though! crx is very VERY light

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I found the info I needed on H-T. /thread..

What are the limitations as far as having an n/a car in autocross standards? Can you change the pistons, rods, etc.? Are there any limitations if any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's for a local club that I run with. They have a class called "Small Bore", pretty much their only class in the club, to promote smaller car competition. Basic rules are has to be 1.8l or less, all motor, no motor swaps, no B16/B18 VTEC (they didn't even allow D16 VTEC motors at the class's infancy but I got them to change it), and some specific cars are ruled out automatically like RX7's/8's and whatnot. So, basically what it ends up being is a class for Miatas to fall under and since the idea came from a Miata owner, it's no surprise that they won't allow certain things to pass.. Like B16/B18 VTEC motors.

Their reason for not allowing the B16/B18 is that it has the potential to make too much power. Which, they do make a good amount of power with some good work into them (majority I've seen on H-T are making around 160whp up to 200whp on motor alone). BUT, the point I'm trying to make is that this is really not ideal. You can be just as fast, and in most cases faster, with anywhere from 60-100whp LESS in the right car with the right setup and of course the right driver. WEIGHT is the key factor. The cars that the B16/18 come in are too heavy compared to the 4th gen Civic/CRX, which neither have VTEC. Yet these cars are blowing the doors off so many other cars that have 3-4 TIMES the horsepower... Power is not really all that important. Even more so with this particular club because they run on small lots and there is no where to really use loads of horsepower.

Why not throw the v6 swap in it. Just wondering why the b or d only.
V6 swap for autox would be stupid. Why the B or D is in my above response.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Completely understand what you mean regarding weight vs. power and certainly driver. I've been to a few local autocross events. There is this bone stock S2000 that was blowing the doors off of STi's, Evo's, 240's, etc., that were all modified and were certainly faster than a stock S2000. The guy is a RIDICULOUS driver. I think the fastest I saw him run a lap was in the mid 40's and everyone else was in the 50's and 60's. I saw him run and my jaw just dropped. The events I went to took place in a small parking lot.

A CRX is probably one of the best cars you could compete in autocross in from what I've heard.

I really want to get into it with my Civic but I'm afraid I'm going to get bumped into a more advanced class with my modifications.

Last edited: