How much time/effort/cost to build up this 90 cx?

Farquea

My wife has a 90 Civic CX and just bought a new car. We put this up on craigslist for $900 and I got flooded with replies! It got me thinking on whether I should maybe keep it and do some work on it as I do love these style Civics when done up, I think they look awesome. The model she has is very basic though so to get it to be looking and feeling what i'd like, I'm not sure if this is possible. I'm looking for opinions based on what I'd like to do as to whether the parts to do this are available and affordable. The real gem with this car is the engine, it only has 128km. Below is my wish list for it along with some pics of it attached and an example of how i'd love to get it looking. I'd love some opinions from guys who know a lot about these cars and if this is worth my time, effort and money

Wishlist
- CV axle needs repair, quoted $700 I think, wondering how much/easy this is to do myself?

- Hit a pole on the front right fender and door. Fender would need replacement or repair, possibly the door too along with the black plastic strip that runs along the side.

- Rear reflector, how available are the red reflectors?

- Front and rear bumpers, are there any different styles of these as opposed to the very basic black ones her car currently has? Again easy to come by or not?

- Power steering, as much as I like the feel of the steering when driving this doing some speed, practically speaking it's a real pain in the ass to city drive, can power steering be installed easily?

- Interior centre console, currently there is just the gear stick and e-brake-hand brake, I imagine higher models came with a centre console that encases them?

- Interior seats, currently its a fake leather, but i'd prefer fabric seats with the holed out head rests on the front seats

- Re-spray in black

- New rims

- Window tints

- Lower the suspension

- Any other nice recommended mods I should consider

I'd love some advice on whether or not people think this is worth a go at or if I should just sell the old girl.

Attachments

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wishlist
- CV axle needs repair, quoted $700 I think, wondering how much/easy this is to do myself?

- Hit a pole on the front right fender and door. Fender would need replacement or repair, possibly the door too along with the black plastic strip that runs along the side.

- Rear reflector, how available are the red reflectors?

- Front and rear bumpers, are there any different styles of these as opposed to the very basic black ones her car currently has? Again easy to come by or not?

- Power steering, as much as I like the feel of the steering when driving this doing some speed, practically speaking it's a real pain in the ass to city drive, can power steering be installed easily?

- Interior centre console, currently there is just the gear stick and e-brake-hand brake, I imagine higher models came with a centre console that encases them?

- Interior seats, currently its a fake leather, but i'd prefer fabric seats with the holed out head rests on the front seats

- Re-spray in black

- New rims

- Window tints

- Lower the suspension.
I think it's worth keeping, especially if rot is minimal.

-You can do the axle yourself, refer to the factory service manual for the car or buy a hardcopy of it from eBay.

-Sure, go ahead and replace the fender and door, body parts are somewhat tough to find new as they are well past being discontinued, but you can find decent ones on the used market.

-Middle red reflector is easy, all the higher trim models had them. Find one, install it.

-Again, same with the red reflector, with the bumpers, have them body color matched and paint them, or find a higher trim model and replace with those.

-Power steering is overrated, I've driven enough of these to be comfortable enough.

-Center shift console, find a higher trim model, install it, direct fit.

-Seats, look for 89-91 Civic SI model seats, they have fabric and the hole in the headrests.
Being you have a Cx model, I'm guessing you're from Canada and the car has seat belts on the pillar?
When looking at seats, be sure to only get seats from a Civic hatchback that had seat belts on the pillar.
Seats from car with belts on the door WILL NOT fit.

Farquea

I think it's worth keeping, especially if rot is minimal.

-You can do the axle yourself, refer to the factory service manual for the car or buy a hardcopy of it from eBay.

-Sure, go ahead and replace the fender and door, body parts are somewhat tough to find new as they are well past being discontinued, but you can find decent ones on the used market.

-Middle red reflector is easy, all the higher trim models had them. Find one, install it.

-Again, same with the red reflector, with the bumpers, have them body color matched and paint them, or find a higher trim model and replace with those.

-Power steering is overrated, I've driven enough of these to be comfortable enough.

-Center shift console, find a higher trim model, install it, direct fit.

-Seats, look for 89-91 Civic SI model seats, they have fabric and the hole in the headrests.
Being you have a Cx model, I'm guessing you're from Canada and the car has seat belts on the pillar?
When looking at seats, be sure to only get seats from a Civic hatchback that had seat belts on the pillar.
Seats from car with belts on the door WILL NOT fit.
Thanks, thats a big help, i'm going to start with the scrappers near me and see if there is anything I can pull from there such as the interior, seats etc.

Farquea

The 90 and 91 are nearly identical. ;)
Am i completely missing something here and being stupid!? The only 90 or 91 i see if 'Civic 1990-1991 ED3, ED4, ED6, ED7 HELMS USDM wiring info only' which is the wiring manual from what I can tell when i downloaded it?