How much would you pay?

davidd_

So, I'm looking for an automatic Honda Civic DX hatchback for work and I've found a few in my area but they want 2,500+ with 160xxx+ miles on them. I was wondering how much would you pay for one? And what are people asking for in your area?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
$1000. No more than that.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Depends on the condition. Up here, rust free 6th gens are uncommon, so they're a little bit more $. Down south, I can assume they'd be cheaper. $2500 is still a lot though.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Agree with XpL0d3r. What kind of condition? And cash talks, they might or might not be motivated sellers.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$1500-$2k but it really depends on how good of shape it's in, especially the body.

chillen2nite

2k tops but it really does depend on if the car was taken care of an the body is decent.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

davidd_

Here are photos of a 98 DX with 139,000 miles a guy is trying to sell me. He wants $2300 I'm trying to spend only $2000.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The worth of the car really varies by location, along with the condition its in. Ive seen Civics worth $1800 in one city sell for $4000 in another. In Miami, FL you wont find any 5th or 6th gen. hatch sell for less than $2000 even is poor condition so long as it runs.

Search within 100 miles of your area & KBB it to get a general idea. Keep in mind that KBB can be hit or miss. I think itd be reasonable to throw an $1800 offer and stick to your max of $2000 while making it clear that your offer is based on the seats not matching and the car needs paint. This is provided that the car drives well. Good luck.

Those look like RSX front and rear seats, for what its worth.

davidd_

I've seen the same thing. It's crazy how it being in one condition lowers/raises a cars price.

Yeah he told me had RSX seats which look like they're in good condition and the paint shouldn't be a problem. Do you think 139000 miles is a lot or should I be good?

Deaf_Dougie

Respected
damn tell him 2k cash in hand no bullshit... I mean I paid my ed6 only for 1k with godspeed 1pc coils, bottlecaps wheels D15b JDM motor and she was smoking on #3 pistons but it's cancer free(rust free)

I mean I wouldn't mind paying 2,300 for that ek....2,300 is my top but I'll try low him down to 2k firm.

*Edit* f**k rsx seats, they're retarded heavy.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yDo you think 139000 miles is a lot or should I be good?
139,xxx miles is low for a pre-2000 Honda. Remember that the national mileage average is 12k-15k per year, which would put the average total mileage for a 1998 at over 220k miles. So yeah, 139,xxx is pretty damn good. That low a mileage on a well running engine in a hatch is worth at least $2000 in my opinion.

davidd_

139,xxx miles is low for a pre-2000 Honda. Remember that the national mileage average is 12k-15k per year, which would put the average total mileage for a 1998 at over 220k miles. So yeah, 139,xxx is pretty damn good. That low a mileage on a well running engine in a hatch is worth at least $2000 in my opinion.
Yeah I always factor in how much someone drove their car. I just worry too much when it comes to purchasing a vehicle off of someone. Thanks for all the help. I also seen some guy post a 2000 for the same price with only 97xxx miles but it just seems "fishy".

Deaf_Dougie

Respected
Yeah I always factor in how much someone drove their car. I just worry too much when it comes to purchasing a vehicle off of someone. Thanks for all the help. I also seen some guy post a 2000 for the same price with only 97xxx miles but it just seems "fishy".

it could be fishy or just need to sell it quick? call him to find out more info.

davidd_

it could be fishy or just need to sell it quick? call him to find out more info.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I talked to him he said he got it from an auction so he has a "lien sale of papers" instead of a pink slip and he also owes $240 for registration.

Deaf_Dougie

Respected
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I talked to him he said he got it from an auction so he has a "lien sale of papers" instead of a pink slip and he also owes $240 for registration.

ah I would prob pass on that one.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If its a solid car but a headache in paperwork then you have all the leeway in negotiations to talk the price down. Otherwise, he has to hope for a dumb kid with $2300 to show up.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Nope. 100% pass on that. There is a reason he is trying to dump it off. I made the mistake of buying a vehicle with a lien like that. Turns out the lien was for non payment when the car was newer and the original owner skipped out on the car and the bank threw a lien against it. People said f**k it and had a friend sell it at the auction, 3 auctions later I picked it up not knowing what the lien title meant. Had something like $12,000 on the lien and they wouldn't let me title it in my name or even get it registered for the road without paying that debt off. The car ended up getting parted out and scrapped as that is all they are worth in that state. Lien titles are a b***h to deal with.

davidd_

Nope. 100% pass on that. There is a reason he is trying to dump it off. I made the mistake of buying a vehicle with a lien like that. Turns out the lien was for non payment when the car was newer and the original owner skipped out on the car and the bank threw a lien against it. People said f**k it and had a friend sell it at the auction, 3 auctions later I picked it up not knowing what the lien title meant. Had something like $12,000 on the lien and they wouldn't let me title it in my name or even get it registered for the road without paying that debt off. The car ended up getting parted out and scrapped as that is all they are worth in that state. Lien titles are a b***h to deal with.
Wow I'm sorry that happened to you. It sucks thinking you got something good and then that happens. Even my friend was telling me to pass on it because he's bought some auctioned off cars before too and it hasn't always been so good for him either.