How To: 5th Generation Headlight Housing Painting

MasterShake

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Smoking headlights

THIS IS NOT MINE ITS FROM flipped cracker

i took the basic procedures from the diy on here about ctr headlights on ek's, but there's a few things you need to look out for on an eg.

firstly, once you get the headlights of the car, (it's pretty easy to figure out. 10mm bolts all around, 4 in total), look at the back of the assembly.

the two bolts (covered by that thing with the 3 screws) are what set how the headlights sit in the assembly. try to remember where they are because that'll help when you go to put the headlights back on the car. so, you'll want to unscrew those three screws, then unscrew the bolt. and also the nut that to the top right in the picture. it's kinda hard to get it. once that section is off, off the 5 metal clips, and then you're ready for the oven.

i put the oven on 350F and put them in for about 7 minutes. i tried 5 but they wouldn't come apart so i put them back in for a few more. also, the lenses are glass, so you can put that directly on the rack in the oven, which makes it easier (with less clean up). i didn't do this at first, but later saw how much easier it was. i also used a knife to pry them apart. anything would really do. just gotta get something in there to get some leverage.

then you'll want to unscrew the 2 screws inside and take out that reflector thing. and mask off the inside part. make sure you mask that junk off. i didn't do this, and painted the whole thing and then couldn't see ish at night. so don't do this:

i did a couple of coats just to be sure. and try not to let it run. you won't really see it, but i know if you're like me, you'll still know the run is there.

once you're done painting, you can stick some silicone where the glue is, just to be sure. i got:

from home depot for a couple of bucks. smells nasty but seals good. since i painted the reflector and junk, i had to pull the headlights apart again and this stuff didn't like to come off even after being in the oven. so it's decent stuff. so stick that stuff on if you want, put headlights back together and then stick them back in the oven for another 5-7 minutes, just to get the glue soft again. then squeeze them together and put those metal clips back on. i figured those would be good enough in holding the glass to the plastic while the glue dried so that's all i did.

now comes the tricky part. you have to figure out where the bolts were so that the headlights will line up correctly. i didn't realize this at first, so i just tightened the bolts all the way, and the headlights were sunk way in. it was bad. so, if you remember where they were set originally, you're set. if not, (you should payed attention above), and you'll have to guess at first. there's a line on the headlight, which i think corresponds to where the harness should line up.

but i'm not really positive. i tried to get them to line up, and it seems to be alright, but that extra bolt (the third one where it was hard to get to the nut) kinda throws it off since it pulls it down. but i think as long as the harness is parallel to that line, it should be ok (that's how i did it). i think you can tweak the settings of those funky bolts with the covers (with the 3 screws) on them, but i didn't really try.

once you've got that lined up, stick them back on the car. and that should be it. mine came out to look like (these were taken after i fixed them so i could see at night again):

i hope someone's learned not to paint the inside of their headlights by my mistakes. you don't see too many diy smoked headlights on an eg. i was at a meet the other day and everyone said that they've never seen them like that before, and some didn't think it was possible to do. so enjoy.

and as a side note, you can't pull apart the corners. atleast not the ones i've got. the glue is too hard i think. they wouldn't budge. the plastic started warping before the glue would give way. so don't try.

*EDITED to show a pic of the head
light when it's done, before installed.

worm

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did mine a few months ago. It's not necessary to remove the back of the headlight to remove the lens.

eg_civic_coupe

5+ Year Member
I did it to my headlights and my buddies headlights. But on his we masked off some of the chrome closer to the headlight bulb, and we also polished the metal thing that goes around the bulb also made a big difference pulled the headlights apart twice and never used any silicone never leak. If you polish the metal thingy it increases visibility a lot. Well we are the only two in our town to have them on an eg and every one asks where we got them. We both say their imported from Japan :lol: everyone that asks that are complete ricers. Well whatever later

natedog61

5+ Year Member
Did this couple days ago i also left some of the chrome not painted

happy with the results

-later

victor.m

5+ Year Member
I'd love pictures too as I wanna do this and don't wanna mess up and would like to see what it looks like in the end.

drmix

5+ Year Member
Anyone have any pics? Im thinking about doing it but need some inspiration =)

brown22

5+ Year Member
heres a few of mine done. alot easyier than whats its played out to be. jsut seal em up good with silicone when your done. and lay them face down(glass down) so the plastic doesnt melt to the pan or whatever 300 degrees worked for me for about 5 mins. keep your eye on them

jonny mac

5+ Year Member
so you dont paint the silver reflector bit in the inside?

just the main plastic backing??

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
IMO, looks better un-painted. Plus, b/c the lense's are glass, its not very noticable. I had to look twice at the pics to see what was going on.

jonny mac

5+ Year Member
which piece did you paint? the silver reflector or the housing behind the silver reflector??

any pics of what you painted with the glass off??

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
IF you would have took the time to do it right (i.e. sanded down the flutes) they would have looked badass!

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
flutes on the lens? how do you polish them when your done?
After sanding them down to very fine ( something like 2000 grit), meguires Scratch-x takes care of the rest. It's been done before, mainly for HID retro-fits.