How To: 6th Generation Black Housing Headlights

cerasoli1188

Love/Hate Relationship
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
finally decided to just do this after I saw this thread today woot came out nice all things considering

etienne98

Race, not Rice!
5+ Year Member
hey guys. im doing this DIY as we speak. 96-98 headlights. half way done. so far so good. i just had a question. for those people who did this. did you guys remove the inside "cover" of the headlight bulb? i have seen some people remove it. just wondering how you get it off. and if it involves the back screws, will it misalign the headlight reflection area? the one that stays chrome.

that same part you are asking if u can remove, i want to know if you can paint that black and if it would effect how bright the lights are. i want them at first glance when they are turned off to look really dark. >..<

etienne98

Race, not Rice!
5+ Year Member
hey guys. im doing this DIY as we speak. 96-98 headlights. half way done. so far so good. i just had a question. for those people who did this. did you guys remove the inside "cover" of the headlight bulb? i have seen some people remove it. just wondering how you get it off. and if it involves the back screws, will it misalign the headlight reflection area? the one that stays chrome.

that same part you are asking if u can remove, i want to know if you can paint that black and if it would effect how bright the lights are. i want them at first glance when they are turned off to look really dark. >..< just the front part where the arrow is touching, not the back( i think the back needs to be reflective.)

FLCL7777

JDM not-tyte Yo!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im doing this in my car tomorrow, but with champion white against a champion white car

going to look sick

etienne98

Race, not Rice!
5+ Year Member
Hey, just did this project myself, just an fyi took me forever to find the right amber bulb if you want to take that yellow cover off of your blinkers. 2357A is a perfect fit for my 98 civic lx front blinkers.

flyinghawaiin00

5+ Year Member
excellent write up i just did mine and followed step by step and it was easy as hell thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cotch98

5+ Year Member
did mine today and it looks sick..haha..after i started i noticed that i my turn signal area looks nothing like the ones pictured..but o well

sohk81

5+ Year Member
has anyone tried painting the headlight housing a different color besides black?......for example red...if any1 has pictures please post

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
has anyone tried painting the headlight housing a different color besides black?......for example red...if any1 has pictures please post
i did gold to match my wheels...might still have a picture...

EDIT: found one...you can kinda see it

sohk81

5+ Year Member
i did gold to match my wheels...might still have a picture...

EDIT: found one...you can kinda see it
its hard to see in that picture but itll do lol doesnt look too bad...i have a red 97 hatch...i might color the housing red...but still contemplating

emoney803

5+ Year Member
Perfect Timing For This Job ... I Just Ordered Them Black Housing Jdm Headlights ... I Needed To Kno If I Had To Take Off The Bumper... I Would Of Painted Them Like You But My Lenses Got All Foggy Nd Yellowish Color To Them ... So I Just Bought Some For $87... Thank You For The Post Will Post Picks As Soon As I Get Them On...

pr0jectcivic

5+ Year Member
haha old thread but i just finished mine and they look amazing! perfect result! i was wondering if i should put the orange reflectors back in? most of the DIYs i see dont put em back in, but i looked at my buddys he ordered offline and his black one do have the orange reflectors in. will it make a difference in the lighting/ what do you guys think will look better?

B-Johnson

5+ Year Member
i did it this past weekend, looks great! this thread helped me so much, but becareful with the housing when sanding it i put a little too much pressure and one snapped in half they are rather brittle, i just superglued them back together and it was fine.

excivic98

5+ Year Member
amazing

i cant believe this i had some spare time on my hands so i decided to try it out. Wow its greatu got it done in a couple of hours. it looks great especially since my civic is black.. and my grill is black so i guess it givies it a stealh appearance.... just became a member two days ago and this is my first diy well second but first didnt work.... the diy where cutting my ground wire makes my blinkers blind fast... 6th gen civic guess it doesnt work .... if anyone knows what to do in order to make them blink faster let me know... i will post pics of my headlights soon they came out great... even gave me time to throw some leds on there.... took some extra time but im happy with end result.... i own CIvic EX 98 usdm ................ great being a member:lol::P:D

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when putting the headlight in the oven, does it go straight on the rack or on anything special?

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when putting the headlight in the oven, does it go straight on the rack or on anything special?
i put aluminum foil on the rack just to be safe. nothing was damaged