How To: 6th Generation Headlight Bulb Replacement

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How to replace headlight bulb for 99-00 si

Application: Civic SI 99-00, but might work for other cars that have this bulb type (9003), 3 pin connector.
Symptoms: This should be an easy one, um if one headlight is lit and the other one isn't good chance you need a new bulb.

Honda mechanic says: "...should be one of the easist things a owner can do with little skill or if you like I can do it for you for about $30 in about 10 minutes :kdubb:"

Choices:

• You don't want to waste the time, and the car's in for a tune up anyhow so let the honda mech do it.
  • $30? dude I need that money to pay that bookie. I lost mad cash on the final 4. I got $10 for the replacement bulb at Walmart and that's it.
  • I would like to shed even more light by upgrading my bulbs to super-duper lights that look like HID lights...$40 for a set, or just ones that are a slightly different shade for $20 a set.
Skill:

Pretty simple deal. 10 min.

Tools Needed:
...maybe or really small hands.

Procedure:
These instructions cover the drivers side headlight, which is the hardest to change because the frigging steering fluid reservoir pretty much makes it near impossible to get to the bulb. The passenger side is much easier, just follow these instructions, just ignore the part about the Steering wheel reservoir.

1. Open the hood (if you didn't know, you can only change the bulb from the engine bay).
  2. Look at what you'll be working with first, you will notice that the back of the headlight has two peices to it, the center is the wire harness, and the surrounding area which should be a rubber seal called the "dust boot".

3. On the drivers side headlight you will have to work around the Steering wheel fluid reservoir. To give you a little more (and I mean very little, but every bit of room helps) you can carefully lift the reservoir off of it's support bracket, by simply lifting it up. ***LEAVE IT CONNECTED TO ALL HOSES OR ELSE YOU WILL MAKE A MESS WITH THE FLUID INSIDE and end up having to refill it***.

4. Next, with one hand push the wire harness one way while you use your other hand to push the other way, so you can get some grip and pull it out. If you can actually get your whole hand in, then your very lucky (girls probably have the advantage here...so how many girls does it take to change a light bulb?). The tool of choice here would be a small child or someone that has small hands.

5. Now remove the dust boot by pulling or pushing it out of the back of the headlight. There should be a tab one both sides to help you pull it off.

6. Now that back end of the bulb is exposed, note the direction of the connectors, so you don't forget how to put the new bulb in. The cheat is that the connectors will look like an lower case "n". One connector at the top that runs horizontal, with two on each side that run vertically.

7. The last part of getting to the bulb is a wire retaining clip that holds the bulb in place. Use the flat head screw driver to push the end of the clip to the open side of the lamp housing. It should swing open. Again with fingers that fit, just use your fingers.

8. Take blown the bulb out.
  9. Carefully take out the new bulb with out touching the glass of the bulb. Very carefully, ease it in, the point of the bulb, slightly low as you insert it, then straighten it out by looking through the front of the headlight so you can see that it is straight in. Replace with a 9003 (Honda 99-00) bulb. **DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS PART OF THE BULB WITH YOUR BARE FINGERS** Touching the glass will leave oils from your fingers on the glass and it is possible when the lamp gets hot enough, the oils from your hand will eventually eat through the bulb. If you think you might even touch it, grab some latex gloves before you take the bulb out of the package. I used a sylvania cool blue bulb, you can use what ever you like as long as it fits.

10. Push the clip accross the back of the new bulb and secure back in by sliding the end into the latch.
  11. Put the dust boot back on, making sure that it seals the lamp housing.
  12. Attach the wire harness to the back of the new bulb.
  13. If you took the steering wheel fluid reservoir off it's support, put it back by simply lifting it in and down.
This has been yet