How To: 96-98 To 99-00 Exterior Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

snozepp147

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pm box is full, so i'll just post here

is sledgehammering the bumper support really safe for the car? i feel like you could mess things up, but if you did it then i guess i'll try it. how many times did you hit it? did you hit it with full strength? did you remove your headlights for it? any more tips?

thanks alot. my engine is out right now so i'll wait to put that in to add more weight to the front of the vehicle.

turboej7

Garage 808, tuning the NW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
snozepp147 said:
pm box is full, so i'll just post here

is sledgehammering the bumper support really safe for the car? i feel like you could mess things up, but if you did it then i guess i'll try it. how many times did you hit it? did you hit it with full strength? did you remove your headlights for it? any more tips?

thanks alot. my engine is out right now so i'll wait to put that in to add more weight to the front of the vehicle.
Oops on the PM box being full... fixed now.

As stated in the write up... I would suggest removing the headlight during hammering of the bumper support. You could always place your old 96-98 ones there if you want to accidently bash something for fun (but thats your choice, not suggested). Only reason to fasten or put the headlights up in place is for fitament (seeing if your lines...line up).

As far as force behing the sledge... I particulary like bashing stuff, and these require adjustment require some blunt force. So i put some guuurrrthh behing my swings and no damage so to say was suffered in respects to air bag deployment or anything in that respect (if thats what you were getting at). How much you hit in idea of how many times... cant really judge that. It all boils down to what you are happy with when its all buttoned up and the lines are good. Im a semetrical junkie, so it required "alot" of bashing and re-applying of the headlights and bumper to get the look I wanted. All in the eyes of the beholder.

Hope this helped and good luck.:party1:

snozepp147

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks alot, i'll try that. for the bottom tabs do you just swing the sledgehammer like a golf club or how did you get those tabs fixed?

turboej7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Best suggestion is put your backside (gonna have to be bent over to hit the areas needed) to the windshield and just swing the hammer down with as much force you can pull off with control.

Looking back at your pictures... your lines look ok (meaning the bumper is going far enough back towards your door), however it seems your not able to bring the bumper up to the fender. If thats the case you need to see whats holding it up from getting up there..

Things that could be obstructing that could be your headlight brackets or if you still have your styrofoam support on by chance. If you get a chance take your bumper off and post some shots of whats going on behind the bumper. Maybe I can help from there.

snozepp147

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok thanks, yeah i took the foam piece out, so maybe its the headlight brackets. i'll look into it when i go home in two weekends. thanks again

turboej7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
got poi? said:
Wat Bout 99 Civic 4dr Taillights Will Fit On A 98 Civic 4dr?
I do front ends, not the back ends... though I did switch out the hatch on my 98 to a 99... but I would have no clue on a four door. Sorry

turboej7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
snozepp147 said:
ok thanks, yeah i took the foam piece out, so maybe its the headlight brackets. i'll look into it when i go home in two weekends. thanks again
Just curious if you got everything to line up or pictures ???

Side note: I feel victim to a hit and run... (long story short there was a party down the street the other night and some punk ass kid hit my car and didnt know it, my bad for parking on the street)... anyways had to get a new fender and was looking back over things that could be keeping your bumper from coming up higher and was boggled. I still have my front end off and fender as well (waiting for fender to be painted) so let me know and I will compare pics and get your lines all buttoned up.

turboej7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Very easy to do... and post pics when your done.

Kincaid

Speed Shop owner
5+ Year Member
I have the problem of the top of the bumper grille area lining up with the hood. hood sits flush with fenders and lights. but the is an 3/4" gap. How should i fix that?

turboej7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have the problem of the top of the bumper grille area lining up with the hood. hood sits flush with fenders and lights. but the is an 3/4" gap. How should i fix that?
Just so im sure where talking about the same thing... your refering to the area pictured below???

If in fact you are... have you cut out the area that is pictured here

If you have and your bumper is attached to the metal tabs (that you also should have grounded/rounded down) then your bumper should be sitting flush on the metal tabs. If the bumper is where it needs to be then your grille should be attached to the bumper and exactly where it should be.

Im curious, is your hood stock? As well does your hood have the rubber seal as you can vaguely see in the first picture up above. If you dont have the seal on then you will have a gap. If possible please post some pics of your gap and I will try and troubleshoot it alil better.

turboej7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Some good looking lines... very very nice.

I really really love black hatches... but all my friends are talking me into paiting it white, think im gonna... cause it looks just as sessy. As well there are many other color variences I can choose from... kinda limited with black.

Hope the tutorial was helpful. Happy Holidays!

grimmz

does this process also work for civic coupes? i got a 96 civic coupe and i just bought a 00 front end..

Status
Not open for further replies.