How To: 96-98 To 99-00 Exterior Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

turboej7

Garage 808, tuning the NW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for answering him... I was in Maui and wasn't checking emails. Hope your swap went well, post pics when your done!

necrom

I did the same conversion on my civic ..... The only thing to do is slot in the bumper. All other sections screw like it is his own ;)

turboej7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have heard that some aftermarket bumpers are different and don't require any hammering of the front bumper support. When I did my conversion I got all the necessary parts from a rear-ended SI and for some reason or another would not line up without the ends being pinched down. Other suggestions of depressing the front bumper support for those that don't like the hammer idea could also try a small vice and go that route.

nicoalex2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It can with a little modification, but don't do it. Keep yours the way it is. yours is 92-95 not 96-98 or 99-00

turboej7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What if i just want to change my bumper into a 99? Would it fit with the 96-98 fenders/hood/grill?
No, the headlights are different so the bumper wouldn't fit... you could modify the bumper but you have a real good chance of screwing up the bumper that way.

ceegeeaye

Since im on a budget, would it work if i bought the bumper & Headlights only? or should i just save up and buy the whole conversion?

turboej7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Since im on a budget, would it work if i bought the bumper & Headlights only? or should i just save up and buy the whole conversion?
If you buy just the headlights and bumper... now your hood and fender lines are gonna be different. Save up and buy the whole conversion. The conversion should be fairly cheap if you happen to get lucky at a junk yard. But yes... bumper, headlights (headlight brakets if you can), fenders, grill and last but not least... Hood. Have fun and good luck.

fastcars017

I tried doing this on my 98 civic ex coupe but my left fender didnt line up so well, theres a big gap between the door and the fender, any help? The passenger side is fine but its only the left fender thats off and not lined properly, should I take it to a body shop or get a new fender?

turboej7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I tried doing this on my 98 civic ex coupe but my left fender didn't line up so well, there's a big gap between the door and the fender, any help? The passenger side is fine but its only the left fender that's off and not lined properly, should I take it to a body shop or get a new fender?
Well a pic would really help alot... and sorry to ask a question with a question but how does your hood and lights line up to the fender, im assuming okay since you didn't say anything...

What you can do is loosen up the bolts that hold the fender in the engine bay and try to tweak the fender back a tad, don't wrench on it or put a ton of weight... hell if necessary completely remove the fender and grab a cloth and some form of tool that wont damage the paint and start bending your tabs just a little bit. dont go for huge movements cause your lines can come into perfection with just a 1/16 - 1/8 of inch of movement of the fender.

If that doesn't work then I would definitely say provide pics. Hope that helps and please let me/us know how it looks... pics of final products are always nice.

turboej7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks and hopefully it still helpful for those that are doing it... granted its not a "full 100% swap" it is definitely efficient and very economical in my opinion. I have browsed and found a write up on Honda-Tech that involves the swapping of the core support, so for those wanting the full swap you might want to check that out. Good luck and for those that have used this write I please request you post photos so we (or I) can see how well the writeup may or may not have helped you!

Status
Not open for further replies.