How To: Adapt RHD EK9 carpet to LHD EJ/EK hatch/coupe

chartinael

5+ Year Member
I cleaned the carpet today and decided to make a little DIY outta the cleaning to show where adjustments are necessary to go from RHD to LHD.

So the red circles indicate issue areas ... on the passenger side the cut-out is for the release cables for gas and hatch. on the driver side you need holes for the footrest and the footrest hole on the passenger side will be covered by floormats. On the driver side you need to cut out just a small area to give room to the release cables.

The footrest ... I made only small holes for the bolts to go through. The real cut-out on the OEM lhd carpet looks like the one on the passenger side.

Our passenger side, rhd driver side footrest cutout. Luckily covered by my custom floormats.

So then we have the issue of the release cable cut-outs:

Until now I had it filled out with the extra parts the Ek9 carpet comes with but we don't need. (no picture but they are attachments)

I glued backing to the backside and just had it stuffed in there ... was the quick fix ... most of the hole is covered up by the door sill panel anyhow.

But today I decided to do it right. I figured I would cut out a piece using the middle tunnel but didn't want to just cut anywhere to keep the structural integrity of carpet intact. I figured cuttung it there was best.

Then use carpetting tape to tape extra piece into cut-out. (You have to remove the padding first).

Then cut the line.

Backside.

Cut padding (I took mine from the old carpet I think)

Done:

Hardly noticable

Small cut-out (do when installing the carpet) for the release cables:

Really, hardly noticable and keep in mind, most of it is covered by my custom made floormats.

Also, took the velcro of old carpet and attached to the EK9.

radarblips

WELCOME TO VUVLAR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:thumbs up
I wanna see pics installed.

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what a waste of time and money. Sorry just my opinion.

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks good so far

Moved to How To section

chartinael

5+ Year Member
Melt said:
what a waste of time and money. Sorry just my opinion.
I appreciate your comment but it has really nothing to do in this thread. It was my choice and money and there is really no time involved fixing the carpeting.

I will of course post pics when I reinstall it in the car.

kristin