How To: Auto Power Sunroof.

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Auto power sunroof

I know someone may have done a write up on this before but oh well. This will work on a 99-00 civic and should work for the 96-98 models also. might work for other models but not for sure.

Follow the wires that leave the sunroof switch. They should head towards a wireloom that also connects to two light grey relays attached to the metal frame on the driverside under the dash. The wires connecting to the relays are kinda seperated into two groups. There are two white wires, two green with orange wires, a green with red wire, a yellow with green wire, a yellow wire, and a black wire. Lets say that there is a top and a bottom with the slot that attaches the relays to the metal brace being on the left side of the relays for referance. There is a green with orange stripe wire in both the top group and bottom group of wires. Both need to be cut with the part not going to the relays taped off, you don't need these anymore. The top green with orange stripe wire is connected to the top white wire and the bottom green with orange stripe wire going to the bottom white wire. You should now have constant power to the sunroof.

So you want to be able to close the sunroof with a push of a button..... You need a relay and a 1N4004 diode ( the little cylindrical thingy that has a wire coming out of both ends). The Green with yellow stripe wire from the relays we were working on before is what we attach the diode to. The end of the diode with the stripe on it goes to the tab on the new relay with the number 85. The other end of the diode is attached to the green with yellow striped wire. The number 30 tab on the new relay is your ground, so you need to ground that. The numbers 86 and 87 tabs are connected together and then attached to the yellow and red striped wire on the sunroof switch. The middle tab is not used.The diode has to be attached the right way so the current goes the right direction. If you plan on connecting to an alarm then you will need to make sure your alarm has a negative activation output. Connect the output wire to the 86 and 87 wires.

By the way if you screw up.....I'm not responsible. Just ask questions first, it would probably be easier if I had pics for ya but I don't for now. I tried to do some diagrams on here but the auto spacing or whatever messed it up. It looked like a bunch of garbled crap. I'm gonna look for some way to get pics on here tomorrow. Its dark here now so even if I did figure out a host site the pics would be too dark.

Last edited:

MajEK

Cry Some More
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You know what wouldbe nice?? Have the pwr window and sunroof setup to something like this but would do them all when you turn off the car and have it in the II section on the ignition. I have left my sunroof open so many times this would be a car saver! Nice DIY!

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe you would need to hook up another relay that when a charge from the accessory is no longer sent to it the relay is triggered to send power to the close wire. Basically it would send a signal to close when the relay is at rest. Never really thought about it.....I know you could set it up to open automaticaly when the power to the car is turned on...but that would suck when it is cold or raining outside LOL.

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
im confused...

nightryder99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thread ressurection

**** I need the wiring diagrams ****

hey i was thinking about this and I was wondering if anybody got the wiring diagrams for the 99 civic
I always wanted to have it auto open and especially auto close for both sunroof and windows
this aint all that hard to do anyways... a good relay can do the trick
if anybody has the wiring ...it would be awesome ... i can set it up for my car and make a sticky for it
Electrical Engineer :lol:
woot woot .. hope somebody got stuff on this.. i mean come on if a old volks can have this incorporated to its door lock mec. ....we can fix it up for a honda
I was thinking of a lil unit that can be installed where the fog light / ele mirror panels are; that way u can set it or disable the system

hook it up :smokin: