How To: Change 01-05 Interior Cabin Air Filter

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok,
This is very easy, but I thought I'd do a DIY anyway since I'd bet a lot of people overlook this filter. I actually looked at the car manual and it says to take it to the dealer to change :evil: . Since most of us would rather stay away from the dealer, here is how to do it. It shouldn't take you more then 10 minutes and you don't need any tools.

Go out and buy the filters from where ever you purchase parts. BTW, I don't think you can get these at Pep Boys or Autozone. I got them for $11 each. You will need to buy 2.

Here is the part you need.

Step 1:
Open the glove box and clean it out! You will see a pull tab on either side of the glove box. (That wire is just my iPod adapter)

Here is a close up of the nub. All you have to do is pry it with your hands. If it's stubborn, on the side you'll feel the opposite clip end. Just squeeze them together to assist removing the tab.

Here is the tab removed. You can see that there is the rubber covered nub that keeps the door from falling over.

And here is a close up of the tab.

Step 2:
In the middle of the picture, you'll see a grid like door. It just easily lifts out. On the left hand side of that grid, pull gently on the tab and remove the door.

Step 3:
At the bottom of the picture, you can see the door removed and all you do is slide out the filter holder. Remember there are two filters, so look again and you'll see another tab. Pull the tab to the left and pull out for the second filter holder.

Step 4:
Look at all the crap that accumulated after 2 years of neglect. You can see how much crap gets sucked in. I'll be sure to change it out more often. I also gave the filters a heavy shot of Febreeze for some scent. Note that there is an "air flow" marker on the filter. Be sure to place it in the holder correctly. So you don't mess up, the filter holder also has an "air flow" marker.

Now just reverse to install everything back together. I hope this helps someone out. ;)

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yuck, look at that crap on the old filter! But good write up man!

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh s**t. do 6-th gen have these in the same place?
Ive never changed mine I bet there could be a dead chipmunk in there.

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
postal21 said:
oh s**t. do 6-th gen have these in the same place?
Ive never changed mine I bet there could be a dead chipmunk in there.
Nope, 6th gens don't have this filter unfortunatly.

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice write up man, Moved to how-tos

I gotta get around to doing that to my accord sometime soon...

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
They sell these for Civics at Advance Auto Parts. I'd check Pep Boys and Autozone, but they appear to be having technical difficulties online right now.

rebyid

5+ Year Member
One of the first things you mentioned is "you'll need two of these". Only one gets put in, and there is only room for one there.

Where does the other one go?

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rebyid said:
One of the first things you mentioned is "you'll need two of these". Only one gets put in, and there is only room for one there.

Where does the other one go?
You need two. Pull the first one out directly then there is a 2nd one that you slide to the left and out.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
NO. USDM Civics only had this for 7th gen and up. Most older cars do not have cabin air filters.

I did happen to find a 6th gen with a cabin air filter, but it's not in America so I don't even know if we have a place for it (I don't think we do at all).

RedCiviC02

Alante, Alante
5+ Year Member
i would like to do this to my civic too but there's no pics ,can u post them again please ,would be a lot easier.