How to change PCV Valve in 7th gen Civic?

Fastone

5+ Year Member
Hi. Is there any DIY prefferably with pictures on how to replace PCV Valve on 7th Gen Honda Civic? I looked but didn't find anything. If someone could provide a link on such DIY, or at least tell me where is PCV Valve located. Is it underneath of the car or it could be accessed from the hood? Thanks.

Tkdtim1226

5+ Year Member
The PCV Valve is also called a Breather hose. It is really easy to find from under your hood. It runs from the air filter housing to the valve cover, right above where it should say Honda or Honda VTEC if you have an EX. I replaced it when I put on my SRI. It is pretty easy. You might need to take off the air filter housing or you might be able to just take off the top cover and have enough room to squeeze your hands in there. Just squeeze the hose clamp and wiggle it off.

For some reason the website I found has a poor link. Go to http://www.collegehillshondaparts.com/ and punch the infor for your car. Go to air cleaner and it should be number 1 on the list of parts. Good luck.

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
how effective is putting filters on there instead of that hose?

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
pretty much the MAIN purpose of the pcv (positive crankcase ventillation) is to vent OUT fumes from the crankcase into the intake manifold to be burned again. it also acts like a vacuum for clean air to mix in...

so heres how it is, the pcv acts like a suction for clean air to get in the crankcase, and at the same time, the intake manifold (or the "intake") will vacuum the fumes out of the crankcase.

to JON, putting those little filters does nothing, itll just suck in air pretty much. i hear they work more towards boosted apps.

to the OP, it should be fairly easy to replace, being that it is only a rubber hose from the air filter pipe to the valve cover. heres a pic.

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
so it wouldnt hurt anything?
my tube doesnt fit right cause the intake was modified some for the strut bar and to fit where its suppose to screw to the oem box mount

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nah, it shouldnt hurt.. i guess after a while, the internals in your head will get dirty and wear out faster.. or so ive heard..

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well, im not sure that comment is entirely true... i only heard it from a few guys, the heat and moisture from the oil does create gases/fumes, itll be trapped in there if theres a filter in replacement for pcv. but being that its a filter and it does vacuum in, the clean air should mix in with the fumes blah blah. then pressure is going to build up inside, since its not really getting out except through the side walls into the block.. blah blah

i havent really had experience with replacing my hose for a filter. some people say itll decrease power if your stock and have bolt ons, but some say itll increase power if your force induced.. im quite not sure if i can give you a valid answer here, but hopefully this will help a bit.

hondagriff

Banned
I've got this oil catch can that I've had for a year now. I'd like to use it but I don't really have a place to put it. Would setting it extremely lower than that of the valve cover cause a syphon and pull oil like crazy. I was thinking of putting it under the battery but didn't know if that was a good idea or not.

DieMaster

5+ Year Member
i hate to burs evreyone's bulbble but thats not the PCV. thats the breather hose FOR the PVC system.

the PVC VALVE is on the back of the motor best accsessed from under the car. from the side of the intake manifold u'll find this 1/2 inch diamiter pipe. follow this down to the oil fume seporator and u'll see a brass-ish "fitting the hose goes on to. undo the hose and unscrew the "fitting" and thats the valve. thats the part that rattles if it's good.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i hate to burs evreyone's bulbble but thats not the PCV. thats the breather hose FOR the PVC system.

the PVC VALVE is on the back of the motor best accsessed from under the car. from the side of the intake manifold u'll find this 1/2 inch diamiter pipe. follow this down to the oil fume seporator and u'll see a brass-ish "fitting the hose goes on to. undo the hose and unscrew the "fitting" and thats the valve. thats the part that rattles if it's good.
YES YES THANK YOU! I was about to post the same thing, but with better spelling and grammar.

Oh and uh... maybe better instructions.

Last edited:

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^we know the hose is part of the pcv system, so most people call it pcv for short because thats what most people think of when you talk about it. good description of what it really is and where its located though ;):thumbup:

Tkdtim1226

5+ Year Member

Huh, that sucks. I got that info out of my Haynes repair manual. I guess I will need to change some more stuff after all. I thought I already chaged mine. Oh well.