How To: Change Stock Gauge Cluster Bulbs 96-00 Civics.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How To: Change Stock Gauge Cluster Bulbs 96-00 Civic(MANY PICS)

This is for a STOCK Honda Gauge

How to change your gauge cluster bulbs in a 1996-2000 civic

Tools Needed:
-1 Phillips screwdriver
- 1(one) #194 bulb
- 4 (four) # 74 bulbs
-Patience and Time

All 5 bulbs can be found at Pepboys or autozone.

*I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ERRORS. IF YOU MESS SOMETHING UP THAT IS NOT MY FAULT. I AM WRITING THIS HOW TO IN ORDER TO ASSIST PEOPLE. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!*

There is your gauge. Lowering your steering wheel all the way down helps alot. Now there are two screws up on that black piece thats behind your steering wheel.

Remove them both.

Here they are

Now pull on that black piece until it comes out. You might have to pull on it hard because there are two clips holding it in position.

Here it is pulled out

Now there are 4 screws that hold down the gauge cluster once inside. Remove all 4

Now here comes a tricky part. You have to manage to pull the cluster out of where it rests. This can take some time if you aren't sure so just be patient and DON'T pull too hard and fast because you might rip out a wire. The way I do it is to tilt the top part of the cluster down, and then pull it from the sides towards you slowly.

Once you manage it to get it closer to you, you have to remove it from that place where it is. This can also be hard because the steering wheel gets in the way. Keep the top tilted down and pull out towards you.

Once you get the cluster out, tilt the whole thing to the LEFT.

*BE CAREFUL ON THIS NEXT PART BECAUSE IF NOT DONE RIGHT YOU WILL RIP WIRES AND THAT WILL CAUSE MANY MANY PROBLEMS*

Now turn it a little towards your door, slowly. You should see some wires plugged in.

First there is big blue one attached. Remove that slowly by pressing on the clip at the top of the plug and wiggle the plug out.

There are 3 wires left. One is a yellow plug, one is white and one more blue one. Do the same procedure for all three. BE CAREFUL!!!

Ahh finally the cluster is out. Good job for getting this far.

Now if you turn the cluster around, you should see something like this.

Don't try to mess with any of it. Anything that you see with a brown colored thing is a bulb.

To take them out, just twist them gently to the left and pull it out.

That is what it looks like taken out. The blue thing on the bulb is a sleeve that Honda puts on to make the light "whiter". If you rip it by accident then it is no big deal.

To take out the bulb, wiggle it left and right until it comes out. Don't do it too hard or you could break it. This is a #74 bulb.

Get your new bulb, and push it back into the holder.

Now put it back on the gauge and this time twist it to the right to secure it.

Do this for these 3 other bulbs the same way.

Now there is one more bulb left. The big one. This one is attached to a wire so watch out. Twist the holder to the left and it comes out.

Wiggle the bulb until it comes out. This is the #194 bulb.

Pop in the new bulb and place the holder back in. Twist it to the right to secure it.

All done with the bulbs.

BTW this is how big the bulbs are.

Time to put this back in

Hold you gauge so its upright like this

Find the big blue plug and plug that in first.

Then the little blue one.

Then yellow.

Finally white. It doesnt matter what order you put them in either, thats just how I do it.

All the wires in? Ok good.

Now work the cluster back into the holding spot.

The bottom part of the cluster should go above this.

Tilt the top part towards the bottom.

And work the cluster in slower. This can be frustrating but just take it easy.

Once you manage that, its time to put the screws back on.

Now take that black piece and turn it over so you can see the back

There are 2 clips like these that need to be pushed into a socket in order to make the piece stay.

Once you put the clip on top of the socket, push it in with your thumb with some force, but make sure you dont stick the clip somewhere else because it could break. Both sides

Now push the top portion back in. It should click right into place. If you are having trouble with it, then pull the piece out and push it in before you push in the two clips at the bottom.

Now put in those 2 screws

And you are finished =)

Turn on your car and make sure everything is OK!

birde427

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
take a pic of it at night to see the finished product

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I want to see some pics with the blue gauges lit up!!!

nightryder99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why not jus get the eurolight cluster film????
i guess this is a cheap mod ..but 140 buckies isn't that bad ...u could have a much better looking cluster

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for the record.. NOT my write up.. just looks that way because i had to move and edit it..

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
any before pics and after? how does the light looks now? which ones were the bulbs that you replaced?

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
hmm i used #24 bulbs for the 4 bulbs that light up the gauges, not 74, it looks good and works fine.

NinjaCivic97

5+ Year Member
got this from another forum: its for the the site

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

u need one of this (#194)

Single LED Wedge Base Bulbs

WLED 1-LED bulb
12VDC 1-LED Wedge Base Bulb (194/168 type)with Wide Viewing Angle
Available in White, Blue, Green, UV-BlackLight, and Red/Blue(2 LED) LED
$ 1.49

and four of these (#74):

Instrument Cluster and Gauge Backlights
T1.5 Instrument LED bulb
1-LED Instrument Cluster and Gauge illumination bulb. #74 LED bulb installed in twist-lock socket base Available with White,Blue,Green,Red and Amber Wide Angle LED
$ 1.79

pick the colors and ur total is

4 T1.5 Instrument LED bulb $ 1.79 $ 0.00 White
$ 7.16
1 WLED 1-LED bulb $ 1.49 $ 0.00 White
$ 1.49

Subtotal: $ 8.65
Shipping: $ 5.00
Grand Total: $ 13.65

and ill put pics up once i get my bulbs and install them, i already painted the light filter to illuminate my needles red, it looks great, should be tight with the blue LEDs

Blk05Civic

Reppin HX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey guys, this was actually my write up from 1.5 years back, glad it helped alot of you guys

i ordered all my stuff from superbrightleds.com, total was about $13 shipped

#74 bulb (you need 4 of these)
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR&keywords=&cart_id=8664579.7934&next=50

its the 5th product listed front the top, for $1.19

#194 (you need 1)
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

its the 3rd to last one, for $0.79 each

have had these in since june 2005, and the 194 unfortunately blew out. i need to replace it.

hope that helps guys

B16a2_ek

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

i did my cluster with leds from autolumination.com i got 4 74 TRI-POWER leds. n the 1 194 i think it was super nova. i dont really know how it works with the colored ones but i got the super white n they look fine.. i have SOME cold n hot spots but nothing too dramatic. theres a thread on here by zammykoo whre he used led strips.. why too much work in my opinion but results are amazing.

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Bringing this thread back... How would you make your needles amber? I mean light up amber. I've been wanting to do this to my car. I have an EH2 but not a big difference

Cyber_Shoy

5+ Year Member
Anyone can help... I have the Civic ESi '93 and it's diferent that part that we have to pull off when we the screws... and I can't pull off...

Please help me

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow this thread is old, but i want to do this to my 6th gen tomorrow and i was wondering if i could replace ALL the bulbs behind the cluster to amber, and where to get them from, Only honda dealership or autozone etc? (not buying from online at all) and if i chance all of them will it look like too much. or is that what im supposed to do when i want the Si cluster look (no im not buying a ctr or Si cluster)

Thanks, sorry i havent had my cigarette so im on egde.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You have to get the bulbs from somewhere other than honda. The si cluster bulbs are white and shown through a red transperancy, giving the amber apperance. So "si" bulbs in your cluster would just leave it the same color it is now. Get the bulbs recommended in the how to and replace accordingly.

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cool, but where can i get amber bulbs i really dont want to overpay at the dealership if i dont have to, and i dont want to paint them if i can just buy them.

last Q, do i have to change All of the bulbs or only those 5 bulbs to get the complete amber si look.

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Again, the ones that they sell in Dealership are not going to make your Cluster light up Amber, so get the Dealership out your head. They will sell you the same exact Bulbs that you currently have on the Cluster, so you dont want that.

You can get Amber Bulbs from Advanced Auto Parts or Auto Zone for like ~$8.00 total. Take 2 of the Bulbs with Sockets from the Cluster with you (The Big one and one of the Small ones) and buy accordingly. You will need 4 of the Small ones and, obviously, one of the Big one.

Oh and yes, you only have to change those 5 Bulbs to get the Amber Lighting.