Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
changing tranny oil

i do not take credit for this

Open the hood and then jack up the front passenger side of the car. You can take the passenger wheel off if you want to make it easier. Put a jack stand under there so you don't die. Next look at the tranny and at the bolt looking from the passenger side of the vehicle you will see a weird shaped bolt that has a suare hole in it. Just stick the head of the rachet in there and remove it. Let the oil drain in a pan or what ever you have. Then when it's empty put the plug back in next follow the bolts up CW around the tranny till you see a 17mm bolt that's the fill hole. Get a flexible funnel or a siphon pump or something and put oil in the hole till the level of the oil matches the bottom of the hole or until it starts coming out which is easier to do. Toss the fill plug back in and your done.

Try to use synthetic oil if you can. It only holds 1.5 quarts on the civic's tranny. I use 20w-50 myself but some would argue it's too thick for tranny duty but I have a small leak and it leaks a lot less with the thicker oil. Also I run my car hard and the oil gets changed in the tranny every 3 or 4 engine oil changes. I also don't use synthetic because I change it so often but for you just put synthetic and the tranny will outlast the engine unless you beat it up because or terrible driving habits or something. Sythnthetic would theoretically never have to be changed in a Honda manual tranny since it has a magnet inside it to collect debris and metal shavings.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For those with high mileage, you might want to try a friction modifier or "syncro shift". It makes a very noticeable difference.

Honda recommends 10w30 or 10w40 honda tranny fluid, but as said above, you may want to use a heavier oil if its older

92lshatchback

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey... Instead of having to use a pump ... You can take out the speed sensor on top of the tranny, and put 2.2 Quarts of honda MTF in there isntead of having to pump it from the side, it's a lot easier and less time consuming, and you dont have to take the wheel off and what not. Just a little tip you probably already knew =)

eK97Hatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
don't you have to get the car leveled? so you would have to put all four corners on jackstands right? I heard that "synchromesh" stuff from gmc or something like that works real well..

Status
Not open for further replies.