How To: City Lights Wiring (5th gen shown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
one6 said:
I just saw this post for the first time...sorry for the late response.

In theory it won't work. The minute you were to double ground it to the high beam, the city lights would never switch off. Electricity chooses the path with least resistance. They would power on with the corners (since that's where the powers coming from and since there's no power coming from either grounds). But when you flick on the low beams, they'd be grounded to the high beams (which isn't using any power therefore acting as ground) and the city lights would stay on. Same thing with the high beams except the other way around. Now it's kinda hard to aviod a small explosion with these since everytime I ficlk them on to high beam, for a split second you could see both lights working at the same time.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just gave up and took mine out. couldn't get the mounting right and i'm modding them differently now. thanks anyway. but if i decide to have a light that stays on with parking light and goes off with low beam, how would i do that. i wired the power to a parking light power wire, then grounded to the factory headlight harness, but every wire i tried had them on all the time? with no other lights on.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How many wires do you have on your headlight harness?

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
3. they are all hot seems like

SI-vic lover

5+ Year Member
hate to ask it, but are those OEM jdm headlights?(ones that ACTUALLY come on civics)...or after market headlights with city lights?.....where can i get sum with city lights?

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
SI-vic lover said:
hate to ask it, but are those OEM jdm headlights?(ones that ACTUALLY come on civics)...or after market headlights with city lights?.....where can i get sum with city lights?
Those are denji aftermarket projectors. The JDM civic headlights look exactly like ours except our USDM headlights have little nipples and are made out of glass. I believe any jdm headlight whether aftermarket or not will come with city lights(I could be wrong). Try ebay.

dagimp415

Get the DRIFT?
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Now, are the "city lights" something like a small fog light that you fitted into those headlights? Or are they being made into headlights from the market?

SI-vic lover

5+ Year Member
can some one PLZ post a pic of the oem jdm headlights with the city lights(cant find pics anywhere) and where can i find those denji's?

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dagimp415 said:
Now, are the "city lights" something like a small fog light that you fitted into those headlights? Or are they being made into headlights from the market?
No, they're not fog lights at all. They're more like courtesy lights for others on the road. They come like that in Japan. I'm sure theres a way to DIY, you just have to be creative.

SI-vic lover said:
can some one PLZ post a pic of the oem jdm headlights with the city lights(cant find pics anywhere) and where can i find those denji's?
Check out hatch_of_doom's eg in this thread, he has oem jdm headlights with city lights.

You can find different types of Denji's on ebay, classifieds, forums, etc.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bringing this back from the dead... wont the city lights come back on when your high beams go on since its a different wire that powers the high beam?

jonyg98civicex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how do they wire them up in japan so that they turn on with parking lights than turn off when your low & high beams are on.................

jonyg98civicex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How do they wire them up in japan so that they turn on with parking lights than turn off when your low & high beams are on?

sorry sk8shrty i was asking a question , not clarifying what you were saying;)

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you have two wires from the city lights. One power, one ground. The power goes to the parking light power and the ground goes to the headlight power. That way, its a ground when the parking lights are just on AND then turns them off when the headlights go on (since the ground is broken).

jonyg98civicex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wont they come back on if i put on my high beams?

And there is No harm of wiring it up that way, like frying a wire or something like that??

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
how do they wire them up in japan so that they turn on with parking lights than turn off when your low & high beams are on.................
I'm assuming true JDM (stanley) headlights have their own power source that's controlled at the headlight switch. Because we didn't get city lights in the states, there is no extra wires to wire them from (which is where they wire up aftermarket headlights with city lights), thus we must wire them up from the parking lights. I suppose if you wanted them to turn off with your highbeams, you'd have to wire them off the headlight switch itself, but in a way that it would ground out with either low or high beam.

P.S. sorry for the super late responses, I've been away a long time.

kuchtaboy

5+ Year Member
So I took some time today looking at wire diagrams and I think I figured out a way to make it for the city lights to turn off with the high beams/low beams but stay on only with the parking lights. Ran it by my prof after I made a final sketch and he said it should work.

I'll go home and try it out tonight (hopefully if I have time) and I'll pm Adrian my info if it does so he can add it to the diy. Hopefully it'll work out. I'll let you know.
-Kuchta

Phatdx

No Longer Has A DX
5+ Year Member
so i dont have to re explain can u check out this thread link http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=151264

so can i cut the red&white Wire And the red&yellow wire from the fog lamp switch and run my red parking light power wire in to it would that work so my fog lamps will come on with my parkinglights/headLights/HiBeams? instead of just low beams or can i just cut the ground to the parking lights so its not a false ground?

GuttaGutta JDM

Ive been looking for this all freaking week!!! i have lights that have city lights and they were hooked up but now they are not... i dont know where too plug em in too get em too turn off.. also is there a way so when i go too drive my head lights would stay off and just my city lights and corner lights and fogs could just work?

Status
Not open for further replies.