How to Clean A Plastic Steering Wheel

Aleyda

Cleaning a plastic wheel is quite easy. In terms of a cleaning solution, I usually recommend using an All-Purpose Cleaner diluted down with some water in a spray bottle. For example carpro Multi-X. You can adjust the dilution ratio depending on how dirty the steering wheel is. This is probably the most cost-effective way of cleaning a steering wheel ( besides using soapy water, but I don’t usually recommend that as it may not remove all dirt buildup on a particularly dirty wheel). You will also need some microfiber cloths for agitation and also to remove any leftover solution.

STEP ONE:
Spray the APC directly onto the microfiber cloth. Do not spray the solution directly onto the steering wheel or else you could end up covering your whole dashboard in the cleaner, which makes the cleaning process longer.

STEP TWO:
Place the microfiber cloth on the wheel and place your hand on top of it. Turn the microfiber around the wheel to clean the front, top, and back. Work around the entire circumference of the wheel. With plastic, you don’t need to be too careful with the amount of pressure used, as it won’t be delicate enough to harm in most cases. Make sure to clean the center of the wheel as well but watch out for any buttons etc. you may need to be careful of on the surface.

STEP THREE:
Dry off any remaining residue with a second microfiber cloth, giving the steering wheel a final wipe down. I tend to not recommend any additional products on plastic (for protection etc), as they could potentially make the steering wheel increasingly slippy. For plastic wheels, the simple approach is best.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dawn mixed with water and a common shop rag have worked for decades...
Did we really need a write up on this?