How To: Clean Under Car Neon Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grafix Ink.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DIY: Undercar Kit

Recently had my kit installed, and when i lit it up at night you could see every bulb - so i stripped it and decided to do it myself in a sleek way..

*Remember all my wires have bin run already so just I’m re-placing my neon’s and re-installing them in proper, sleek locations and legal too as no bulbs visible.. so if you have a new kit just add the extra steps at the end for your wiring, very simple just hook to battery and switch, most kits have everything you need.

Materials Needed:
Bag of Zip Ties
Wire Loom
Dremel
Exacto Knife
Drill
Patience / Time

Day 1 - The Front:

Take off the bumper on 96-00 there are 2 screws on bottom of the bumper, 1 in each fender, and bout 8 on the top of he grill and bumper top

Lay the bumper down on its front so you have a better view of your patient. Bring a tube to the front to figure the approx width to your bumper.

On the underside where the supports are, cut a rectangular box slightly larger in width and about 7 inches in depth. and mark with a pen/marker

With a dremel cut along the line you just made

it may be easier to cut from inside or outside, i cut mine from the outside so i could see my work in front of me

Once the hole is cut out - take it out to reveal a empty space, just remember to keep your supports there so you can still attach the bumper to the underneath

Get the tube and use it as a guide for the placement and mark holes.

Predrill all holes for zip ties i made about 10, better safe than sorry

Neon tubes should have places for the holders that are strengthened by plastic place the ties at these points and make them tight - but no too tight its glass cmon..

Then in between the main points i put less tight zip ties but still enough to hold them there, same thing why not...

Re-Install bumper cover, back on car refer to 1st couple steps but cmon if you can’t take of the bumper you shouldn’t even be doing anything like this.

Should look like this, no wires shown and or bulb.

Neon in place, hidden, cut-out for neon glow, and bumper cover holder still intact. Daytime shot shown, these are bright as hell....and now hidden too

Day 2 –Sideskirts / switch
So onto day 2, today’s prob gonna take the longest as I wan this done the best. Basically going to be removing the kit and hiding it.

This is how the bulbs were installed, the wiring was good but the bulbs where just placed too low and well that’s how they break. Also because they were low they were visible – and well that’s not legal at all.

First things first -the side skirts and they have to come off.

There are 2 expanding screws and one clip underneath.
*word of advice – wash the car lol, I learned the hard way.

once removed just slide the side skirt forward and it should all come off, the clips holding the side together should still be on the vehicle.

You can do all this 1 side each I decided to do both at the same time, so off came the other side aswell.

Now this took some though on mounting. But I found the perfect spot. Find the center point in between the car and mount the tube under the metal lip of the side skirt support.

Now this is the part you have to be patient with. Mark the holes to cut out of your side skirts. Remember to leave your mounting location intact. Also cut little by little cause if too small you can cut more but if too large well new side skirts needed. Keep a big enough lip so the side skirt covers the tube, but lagrge enough so the tube shows through, so it takes some eye.

Then cut – some say you can use an exacto knife – but hey power tools cmon…

Done – now I had to recut mine as I didn’t cut enough the first time. Make sure you do a test fit. And I did and its perfect.

Now clean up your wiring, in my case I cut lot off and mounted it properly, on yours it’s a fresh kit so do it right.

Now I found it easier to put the clips onto the skirt then just snap them back on. On the eks the clips you have to turn to a 45 angle and then come out. After that just mount it back on and over the tube. Also re-attach you mounting hardware previously removed.

Skirt mounted – tube hidden and protected from the road / elements. Nice and sleek. – Legal too

No Wires and or bulbs showing.

Yup they work

Next was theswitch I changed it to match my current interior neons swith…

And done… sleek

The Day is complete, a hidden, totally legal kit…

I see a photo shoot in the near future…

Grafix Ink.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
more to come tomm as i finish the rest of the kit

civic31g

Rice Racers
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good idea on the sides. how did ya do the back?

Grafix Ink.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my rear was done fine, i did not do that. you have to do therear like the front and siseeds - cutting a hole in the support peice, yet leaving a bit to attach it

Status
Not open for further replies.