How To: Detailing Civic Correctly

toolow

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i worked for a detailing shop for like 6 months, shittiest job i had in a while, hard long hours, talking 10-12 hours a day. i love the cars with the boogers and crayons and coffee spilled everywhere, lol

x_zone

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
great info man

EBPimpSi

CCCC member #76
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what do you guys use to apple the clay, cleaner, sealant, and wax with...a polisher/waxer or just by hand?

*Tre-G*

Powered By Uncle Bens
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i detail my black civic at least every day
it also helps to work at a detail shop and have access to products
bling

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i detail by hand.

when i clay i usually use a wash mitt or microfiber towel to hold the claybar while i use it. gotta be careful not to let it drop.

i use the meguiar's foam sponges to apply polish and wax, and use either cotton terry towels (they're cheap) or microfiber towels (which i always seem to dirty elsewhere) to remove the excess after it's set in (for both polishes and wax)

EBPimpSi

CCCC member #76
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anfrey said:
i detail by hand.

when i clay i usually use a wash mitt or microfiber towel to hold the claybar while i use it. gotta be careful not to let it drop.

i use the meguiar's foam sponges to apply polish and wax, and use either cotton terry towels (they're cheap) or microfiber towels (which i always seem to dirty elsewhere) to remove the excess after it's set in (for both polishes and wax)
do you usually get good results to your liking?

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
imho, i get great results. have u seen my pics?

this one here is after driving down to florida from indiana.. she's dirty, but still shiny

EBPimpSi

CCCC member #76
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
man that looks real good...any products that you would recommend?

chadster

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
5 Star Shine User Reviews

If you're interested in getting the best protection for your car paint job and an easy no-hassle approach to keeping it clean, check out these 5 Star Shine user reviews. There are many who have written in their experiences. Check them out below! When you decide to order, be sure to use the customer discount code 'VIPDISCOUNTS' to get a great deal at checkout. www.5starshine.com
-Chad
http://nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=48193

http://nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=45700

http://nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=37036

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
can i recommend something? ok, i am anyway. jayjay stated that you should wash your car from top to bottom. in all actuality, u are supposed to wash your car from bottom to top, and rinse from top to bottom. just a lil info i thought would be handy. and yes, i am a professional detailer, so you can believe me. =)

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
mymmeryloss said:
can i recommend something? ok, i am anyway. jayjay stated that you should wash your car from top to bottom. in all actuality, u are supposed to wash your car from bottom to top, and rinse from top to bottom. just a lil info i thought would be handy. and yes, i am a professional detailer, so you can believe me. =)
Why would we want to wash the (presumably) dirtier part of the car first? Wouldn't this drag teh dirt upwards? Not trying to be an ass, I'm just interested in the reasoning behind this. =) (I do rinse my washrag constantly btw.)

IGotASlowCivic

Yeah Im slow... So?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How do i go about doing touch up paint. Do i do all the waxing and polishing before or after?

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
what i would do is clean detail the entire car first, get her nice and clean all over. no wax yet, just wash/clay/polish...

then apply touchup paint in the area that needs it (i would suggest lightly sanding if necessary, they have those pencil-tip sanders that work real well).. then let the paint dry and repolish that area. then wax the entire car.

SpoonFedRexSi

Droppin' a Deuce
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm cheap and I don't want to spend money cleaning my Macco painted car. I use a Turtle Wax bone sponge ($1.59). I use a new one every time I wash my car. I use cotton bath towels to dry it (My mom hates that). I wax it with good old Turtle Wax caranuba. Could I use anything to thin out the dish soap? (obviously not water) What automotive cleaners would you suggest then? What do you use personally? Thanks.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i can't believe people actually wash their rides with dish soap...
... how about picking up some car wash at your local store? personally, i use meguiar's mirror glaze line (tan bottles) #00 hi-tech wash because it doesn't strip wax.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
rehabb said:
Where do you get the clay from???
u can find it at napa, autozone, advanced auto parts, or whatever your local auto parts shop is. you can also try auto body supply shops (my fav)