How To: DIY: Painting your own Wheels.

Jake98Civ

Black Civic EX
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DIY: Painting your own wheels......

HOW TO: Paint your own wheels

This is a process that takes a good while... make sure you have plenty of time to do this because you do not want to rush through this.......

First Clean off the wheels really really good with high pressure water.....

Next sand down the wheels to make sure the paint will hold... My wheels had black paint on them already from the previous owner.... so I used fine grit sandpaper... then moved up to a higher grit... and then used a even higher grit of paper.... this was because of the old paint.... if your wheels dont have paint on them i would suggest just using the fine grit paper.... and that would be good enough.....

After you sand down the wheels good... then use the high pressure water once again and make sure you get all of the dust from sanding off the wheels....

Then I used windex and cleaned the wheels really good again to make sure everything is clean....

After the wheels were really clean and roughed up from sanding..... I sprayed some white primer on them... just two really thin coats seemed to work fine for me.....

Next.. after I let the primer dry for about 15 mins.... i started to paint the wheels.... I used a high gloss black engine paint.... you can get it at walmart... they have a lot of different colors.... this paint is really strong because its for your engine....

I painted each wheel with 5 coats of paint each.. I let each coat sit for about 20 mins before painting another coat.....This took about 3 cans of paint for 16 inch wheels.... The first coat should be put on kinda thin....then the other 4 thicker......

After I put all the coats on I let the wheels sit for about 2 hours or so...

Then I came back and used a super clear clear coat... Its called triple thick... made by Krylon (I THINK)......I put on three coats of clear coat... letting each coat sit for about 15 mins or so....

After I was finished painting all the wheels.... I let them sit for 24 hours to let all of the paint bond and dry... dont touch them for 24 hours to avoid finger prints and messing up the paint.....

Thats what i did... and they came out pretty good i think.... here is a link where you can see the results of the wheels....

http://www.hondashowoff.com/profile.php?id=3097