How To: DIY Red Lit Gauge Needle's (6th Gen)

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So, after doing the DIY amber guage lighting, I decided I didnt like the ugly (still light blue) needles. So, after some thinking, I found a way to make the needle's red, without spending tons of money on either a EM1 cluster, or a JDM cluster. **Sorry for the blurry pics**

Materials Needed:

Stained Glass Paint (used for kids crafts, and can be found at either WalMart or a crafts store. I used "Kelly's Glass Stain", and costs about $2.)
Scotch Tape
Some kind of cutter (I used a razor blade, but an exacto knife would be alot easier)

First, you need to take your gaage cluster out of the car. Theres a couple of "How To's" here on ClubCivic, so search for one.

Next, you need to take apart your cluster. Start off by unclipping the clear cover. Theres a total of seven. (Note all clips are pictured. Its not hard to figure out where the others are.)

Next, comes the bezel type piece. This also has seven clips. (Not all clips are pictured. Its not hard to figure out where the others are.)

Now, on the top side of the bezel type piece, is a black plastic peice with little blue triangle/squares in it. Carefully pull it off. Its just pressed into place. It should look something like this:

NOTE: Stupid me didnt plan on doing a Write-up on this, so I didnt take pictures before hand. Mine is already painted red, but a stock piece will be black, with blue peices on the outter area side.)

Next, take your cutter and carefully (use a peice of wood or something hard as a backing) cut out the blue triange/square shapes. Get all the blue out that you can.

(Sorry, I didnt take a picture of this process. Like I said before, I didnt plan on doing a write-up on this, so some processes are missing.)

Next, take your scotch tape, and cover up the 4 holes you just cut out. Be sure to fold the tape over BOTH sides of the plastic piece, so there's no sticky side of the tape. Also be sure to use two seperate pieces of tape (one piece for each side of the plastic piece). Cut off any excess tape you have.

Next, get your red glass staining paint, and paint over the tape that you just put on. Be sure to let it dry. I put two coats on one side, and one coat on the other side. Heres what it should look like...

Once the paint has fully dried, put the plastic peice back into the housing/bezel, and re-install the housing and clear peice onto the gauge cluster. Put your cluster back into the car, and your done. Heres the final product!!

Note: This will only work at night with the lights on!

So, overall I spend $2 and about 30 minutes or so doing this. I think it came out great. Any questions, comments, ect. please feel free ask or PM me. :thumbs up

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice job man, does it dim the lighting at all?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sk8shorty017 said:
nice job man, does it dim the lighting at all?
The lighting of the needles? No, not really. When the suns just going down, and you have your parking lights on, the needle's are alittle pink. But once its fully dark out, theyre red. I have no problem seeing them at night

wtfh4xx

1337 Gold Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hmmm, So this just casts a red shadow onto the needles making them red...

Technically, using this method you could make them any color you want....

BTW: Does it cast red anywhere else besides the needle???

P.s. PM with what LED's you used and where you got em for your lighting. It looks sick and im gonna make mine that way.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lil_falco said:
Hmmm, So this just casts a red shadow onto the needles making them red...

Technically, using this method you could make them any color you want....

BTW: Does it cast red anywhere else besides the needle???
Yes. You can make them any color you want, as long as you use translucent paint....

wtfh4xx

1337 Gold Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What about the casting of red light to places other than the needles?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
that looks sick...!

I'm doing this asap..!!!

:thumbs up on the write up

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lil_falco said:
What about the casting of red light to places other than the needles?
Why would you want to do that? The gauges themselfs have lights on the backside of the cluster....

wtfh4xx

1337 Gold Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I want to make sure it DOESNT cast light elsewhere than the needles. ;)

And why wouldnt you just spray paint the needles red?

wtfh4xx

1337 Gold Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
And what bulbs did you use for your cluster and whered you get em?

Thanks

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I want to make sure it DOESNT cast light elsewhere than the needles. ;)

And why wouldnt you just spray paint the needles red?
If you spraypainted them, they wouldn't light up at night because the paint would be too thick/not transparent.

I think I might try this translucent paint idea sometime soon... good write up

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the comments. :thumbs up
It was really my fiancee's idea, but I thought she crazy. Turned out to be a good idea. =)

wtfh4xx

1337 Gold Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Could you answer my question sometime wihtin the next week?...

Where did you get your bulbs from and what ones did you use? (FOR THE AMBER BACKLIGHTING)

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got the bulbs from AutoZone. Theyre (I THINK) #124 and something else.....Ask Genuine Rolla. He know's for sure.

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nice! im going to go do this this weekend...red needles, on blue numbers, just like my brothers jetta.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
V Dubs have a purple backing mahng ;)

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Anybody done this yet? If so, I wanna see how it came out.