How To: DIY Shift Knob Red Lettering

Takiyon

5+ Year Member
I saw this thread and its pretty awsome I'm gonna do every thing in my ride. But check this out... What about using glow in the dark paint??? I think that would be awsome!!! I'm gonna find some and do It. Hit me back guys...

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ha go for it and post pics

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i did this in white a year ago and its still there :cool:

im doing it in red as soon as a find a red crayon to match my new shitboot

Takiyon

5+ Year Member
Glow in the Dark Lettering

My Camera Sucks but here are some pics

Before:

After-Night:

After-Day:

you have to use alot of paint and many coats of it. But Worth it...

What you all think???

Takiyon

5+ Year Member
Glow in the Dark Lettering

My Camera Sucks but here are some pics

Before:

After-Night:

After-Day:

you have to use alot of paint and many coats of it. But Worth it...

What you all think???

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^

Now that is great idea. I never thought about that one man..! :thumbs up

Jaydles

Too Honest
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey guys new here,
ha and the first thing i did was this to my car.
Thanks for the read.

Takiyon

5+ Year Member
Model Pain

You can use testors model paint. It works very well and it is not subject to the issues that arise during the heat of the summer.

speedjunkie_g35

Cool idea but a water based paint work work better. I say this because with the water based paint you can paint inside the grooves and then take a damp rag and wipe it after it has dried for a few minutes. The paint in the grooves will stay and and excess will be wiped up.

I like the glow in the dark paint but I think it would of looked better if there would of been a base coat of white and then paint using the glow in the dark. That way you can see it during the day and even better at night.

fast_thatsit

I JUST did this and it turned out fantastic! Seeing as how my civic is red to begin with, it works out perfectly lol will get pics on here asap!

jtyrone32

Fuel your Passion
Got bored one day and saw a write up on how to do this somewhere so...i thought, it sounds easy enough, i'll try it and see how it comes out. I've tried it a few different ways to figure out how to get the best results. These are my findings and instructions on how you can put a sick HERRA JDM touch to your OEM, GSR, basically any shift knob with grooves for the shift pattern.

Items Needed:

Red Crayon
Lighter (better than lighting a match everytime)

Ok, what you need to do is clean out the grooves of your shift knob. I used a semi-non working ballpoint pen and it worked fine.

NOW, here comes the fun part. What you must do is take the crayon in one hand, the lighter in the other and melt the crayon onto the shift knob:

I did one letter at a time. I did one drop per letter, as you can see in the pic:

Then...The method thatIi found works best, is to wait till that lil drop of crayon dries and hardens. Give it a minute or so. Once its all set, start working from the top of the drop and "file/sand" down the wax with a finger nail. go easy till you start to see the outline of the letter. then you still want to go easy over the letter as you get closer to the surface of the shift knob so that you dont accidently end up scraping off the wax from the groove.

Once you have most of the wax cleared off, go around the edges carefully, removing unneeded wax build up.

Now, you might have some waxy residue left on the top of the knob. What i did was i held the knob in my right hand and put the top of it into my palm and moved the knob on its "axis" to the point where it created enough friction and heat. That removed most if not all of that residue.

I ended up doing this to my GS-R shift knob and my stock one just for the fun of it:

Thats the finished product! It's an easy and cheap DIY to spruce up your shift knob. I would imagine that it would work on most shift knobs that have a groove for the shift pattern. Enjoy your HERRA JDM shift knob;) .
Doonnne! =)
thanks dude! Finally found you, needed to find a ling through your thread.

Picture: The original knob on the left was from a search engine, since i forgot to take a before pic. The rest are mines with an orange crayon. hehe