How To: Fix A Window That Fell Out Of It's Track.

peeweezy

5+ Year Member
FREAKING GREAT just in time too, my window just fell out of its track yesterday. came on here read this and now both driver and passenger go up and down down

...just stink it kinda goes slow once in a while

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good write up. I had to do this with both windows in my 99 Si a couple weeks ago when they came out of their tracks. It's a lot more entertaining when you don't know how to go about fixing it.

eskibz

5+ Year Member
i did this at like 3 in the morning last week.. my window wouldnt go up and so i just took the door panel off.. i didnt have to take off my speakers though.. all i did was take the armrest type thing off and popped the clips of the door of.. after that u only have to disconnect the wires to the locks, speakers, etc, make sure you dont disconnect the power windows button thoo =]

5forfighting

5+ Year Member
Wow...I just got a used (but VERY nice) '99 DX hatchback yesterday and had this exact problem last night. Rolled the driver's window down and it jumped out of the front track. These are MANUAL crank windows but I ended up doing EXACTLY what was described in the first post here, including putting a couple of washers between the front track and the door panel to get it to line up correctly. I dabbed lithium grease in the channels and all internal moving parts, because I had some handy.

I only wish I would have seen this website before I started, it would have saved me a LOT of time sorting things out on my own.

Cheers.

jb0ne

Banned
well, just got my car yesterday and passenger window was fine then BAM wont go up more than 3/4 of the way, bout to try this out.

Noodler

I wear socks
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lithium grease fixes everything on hondas dont it? LOL! i know how to fix my slow passenger window now :D

sajin

5+ Year Member
I did this to my passenger window. when i would bring it all the way down, it would struggle like hell to go up. had to go up-down-up-down-up-down-uppp-down-upppppppp-down- final up to get it to go all the way up witout stopping. Lithium grease ftw. Goes up now all in single motion from the very bottom. Woohoo!

SlowTEC

Initiate brain dump in...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mad props for an awesome DIY. This used to happen to me a lot...

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so my passenger window goes up EXTREMELY slow, would this be a fix for it?

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
try a little silicone spray first if the windows seems to work and still in the tracks.

PatMart

5+ Year Member
My 95 LX has a driver window that won't go up without slipping out of the rubber track along the outside of the door (manual windows), will this work. Might try it tomorrow.

Schlenkerb

5+ Year Member
Bump for an awesome thread. This helped out a lot. I did find getting the panel back on was a huge pain though. >_< Same for the little clip things. Ugh. Anyway, awesome write up. Mine still goes up slow though. I couldn't get the grease on for the side towards the engine though. :( Only the side with the plastic window. It's still loud as heck and not fast.

philharmonik

Love this thread!! I wish I would have came across this months ago. I just did these exact steps today and the driver window is working much better. I need to replace the front track/guide. The rubber parts all ate up and missing in some places! About 25 bucks to replace that. Not bad considering how much it would have cost if I took it somewhere.

louis.

i thought doing this would fix my window popping out of its track but i now realize that the tabs for the actual glass has broken off, does anyone know where i can buy the drivers side glass for cheap i have a hatch and live in san jose area, or if anyone can point me in the right direction of where to look it would greatly be appreciated thank you.

Underwurlde

Just want to say thanks to Stolibears for this thread.

This happened to my 2000 Honda Civic last night and my window is now restored back to it's former glory.

Thanks so much!!

somerandomguy

Thanks! This is a huge help.
After reading this I decided I should register. Looks to be lots of wise people here.
Thanks to all who have contributed stuff like this. To a guy like me who is sort of new to doing my own auto work, sites like this are just priceless!

moebiius

5+ Year Member
i thought doing this would fix my window popping out of its track but i now realize that the tabs for the actual glass has broken off, does anyone know where i can buy the drivers side glass for cheap i have a hatch and live in san jose area, or if anyone can point me in the right direction of where to look it would greatly be appreciated thank you.
I can be of assistance, what car is it? I might just have it ! Pm me Wth your number and I'll get at you tomorrow evening after my exam. I have a lot of spare parts for Ef's EG's and ek's especially front windows lol