How To: Fix aftermarket rear lip fitment......

SIRIUS

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
First off, I know OEM lips fit the best but I'm not willing to pay for one. OK, now that that's out of the way:

What you'll need:

-Aftermarket rear lip
-Drill (cordless is better)
-Drill bits
-Black Plastic Screw Covers
-Nylon 1/2" spacers
-1 1/2" x #8 stainless screws
-beer :beer:

You can find all of above at Home Depot/Lowes except the beer. Hit a packy for that.

Before pic:

Not the best picture but you can see from this pic the lip bows up in the middle and flairs out. Also the passenger side sagged down. The sides also fit sloppily against the side of the bumper. I should've taken more "before" pics but didn't. Sorry.
***Note the only reason the lip doesn't sag is b/c it is being held up by the tow hook!***

The main problem with aftermarket lips is that they come with very little installation hardware. The one I have only came with 4 screws that are used to attach the lip to the inner edge of the wheel well. This allowed the lip to sag b/c of zero support in the middle.

Picture of what you need:

Then pre-drill a hole in the rear lip. Try to space them out evenly and have the hole set in about a 1/2" or so.

Before you start screwing :P you have to modify the screw cover so that the cover will snap over the head of the screw. You could just get larger screw covers but I didn't want them to be too "bulky" looking. Simply drill the hole in the cover out a little like this (note one is modded, the other isn't)

Now you're eady to go ahead and grab one of those Nylon spacers that go between the lip and the rear bumper. This keeps the lip from getting smooshed into the bumper. Be sure to slip the cover over the screw before you begin. Like so:

Snap the cover over the screw:

^Looks pretty clean huh?

I used 6 all together and it really straightnened it out. Looks alot better IMO. Some finished up pics:

Driver's side:

Passenger's side:

Underneath:

From behind:

Obviously not as nice as an OEM lip but I give the fitment an 8.5/10 now.

So :thumbup: or :thumbdown: ?

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:thumbs up

CivicEX13

CC's Valve Cover Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good install but why didnt u just use double sided 3m tape?

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
CivicEX13 said:
good install but why didnt u just use double sided 3m tape?
There isn't enough surface area to use tape on that aftermarket lip.

FezRO

5+ Year Member
is this the civic at the top of the CC website banner?

anyway....
im feelin the magnaflow exhaust, how do you like it? im thinking about getting that system. hit me back.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so are you just screwing that into the bottom of the bumper??

SIRIUS

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
98VTECivic said:
like the black plastic screw covers where can you get them? looks clean.
Sorry kinda late on this but you can get those at Home Depot.

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Black Plastic Screw Covers, is that what i would ask for?
btw GREAT WRITEUP

SIRIUS

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
chadi said:
Black Plastic Screw Covers, is that what i would ask for?
btw GREAT WRITEUP
They are in the hardware aisle in the little drawers that they keep misc screws and hardware in. Yes, "screw covers" is what they are called. They have different colors (black, white, tan). And thanks.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

SIRIUS

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes all 6th gen rear lips are the same. If the lip is "long" make sure you are not mounting it too low on the rear bumper. There should be some overlap of the lip and rear bumper.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ooo ok...

maybe i have it a tad bit too low on the rear bumper....i'll adjust it today and see if that helps.

Thanks for the tip btw...it is much apprecciated.