How To: Fix Broken Hood Release Handle

DaggWood

I just bought a 1996 Honda Civic EX last Mont.
The plastic latch to pop the hood was broke off, but I was still able to pull the cable with pliers.
It's a pain in the ass to not have a release handle.

I was thinking to get a new Cable release handle from a scrapyard but what if it break again...
So i decided to make one that would not break somehow.

This was my solution to the problem. A T-Handle Tap Wrench.

Easy to install, nothing to remove in the car, don't look that bad, will not bread again.

To install it simply remove some plastic at the tip of the handle cable.

Cut the T-Handle Tap Wrench handle to the length you want. I use a dremel to cut the handle.

Insert the T-Handle Tap Wrench on the tip of the cable handle and tight the T-Handle Tap Wrench around it.
That's all there is to it, simple and solid.

CIVIC_VTEC

LOW AND SLOW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks better like that instead or stock my opinion

spoon egg

Teeth Doctor
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that's such a good idea! great job! i need to do that too because that bastard broke off on me in the winter time. It would be my 2nd 6th gen civic that has done that too me.

Laozy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That looks really cool imo. Nice job :thumbs up

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow looks good, god forbid my s**t would of ever broke i would of rode around with no hood like a bastard on purpose

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I like the look. I shall give this a shot in the near future.

red98civ

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks good man. i just left mine as a "nub" b/c its just an extra few seconds that it'll take a thief to pop my hood.

SoJ1Ro

just sit back and enjoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
like where you get it from? home depot? and u jus like screw it in? im sorry but i never seen this before so i just want to know. mines broke too so i want to do this

DaggWood

it work the same way as a tip of a drill, put the pin in and turn the tip to tighten it. and ya home depot might have it.

Peter_O

This is exactly what I need

Nice job Daggwood. This is exactly what I need. Where can I buy one and approx what cost? I live in rural B.C. about 1 1/2 hrs from Kamloops so don't have lots of stores available. On line I see them as cheap as $3 in the U.S. but $20 in Canada and the U.S. doesn't ship here.

DaggWood

Well you can get the T-Handle Tap Wrench at CanadianTire or HomeDepot or anywhere they sell tools.
Mine cost like $3.99 i think at CanadianTire.

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I like it! i have a keychain ring on mine right now and it kills my finger when i pull it

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awesome, mines been broken for a very long time and it is a pain to pull. But like someone stated above, it'll take a thief a few seconds longer to pop my hood. But I may do this in the near future, but with a little creativity, a Red Honda Emblem?

rebirth

5+ Year Member
looks good man. i just left mine as a "nub" b/c its just an extra few seconds that it'll take a thief to pop my hood.

Same here. Mine was broken when I purchased the car. There is a technique to opening it with your hand and no pliers. I think it's better for thieves, but that looks sick. I would paint mine to match the car though.

slammedej8

5+ Year Member
thieves open hoods from the outside of the car, by the front bumper or driver side fender, thats where the hood latch cable is found

Crimson

Sweet I also purchased my car about a month ago with the same problem. Gonna get one of my tooling buddies to make me a custom tap handle. Sounds like honda has alot of problems with this. Why no recall?

JaredB

5+ Year Member
Because it's made out of flimsy plastic, and someone broke it. If anything it would be covered under a warranty and have no need to be recalled. It's not like it causes the car to spontaneously combust.

To OP. That's sick man, might have to have something similar made, perhaps you should start making them and selling them. You've got my purchase. :D

Crimson

Because it's made out of flimsy plastic, and someone broke it. If anything it would be covered under a warranty and have no need to be recalled. It's not like it causes the car to spontaneously combust.

I realize that it really doesn't effect the safety of the car. But there are constant recalls on stuff like this. I work for an automotive factory and know all about recalls, I work for toyota.

I just got my tap handle and welded the handle in place. Sprayed a little primer and it looks close to the interior color. This is a must do for all civics with this problem.